Post Thanks / Like
    Most of the time I think "Don`t wash if you don`t have shade" and the logic in me tells me is because the car paint gets hot and of course dries too fast.

Now, how about having a.....let`s say 55-65 degree weather, still in the sun, and the paint doesn`t feel to heat up much, I am pretty sure the temparute of it rises but so slight you can`t feel it.

Could you still use your "shade only" products????

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats exactly what I try to do....wash right away in the morning with its around or under 60 degrees...I never really have a problem with it, but I move fast and I have small cars. All in all, I would rather have shade and a cool day (less than 70 degrees) than anything-that is ideal washing weather for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve found that it`s not really the sun that makes the water dry, polish cake, etc. It`s the heat from the panel. Like you said, if it`s a beautiful, cool day, you probably won`t have a problem like you would if it was hot. Now, say you have an hot, 90 degree day. The paint will be hotter than just 90 degrees. This, is because of the sun, and the way the surface absorbs heat. If the atmosphere around it is cool, and the surface is cool, I see no reason for the "shade only" rule to apply.

I might also be comepletely wrong, and will end up failing science this year
    -Glenn Jr.

There is always room to learn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by chinobox

Most of the time I think "Don`t wash if you don`t have shade" and the logic in me tells me is because the car paint gets hot and of course dries too fast.

Now, how about having a.....let`s say 55-65 degree weather, still in the sun, and the paint doesn`t feel to heat up much, I am pretty sure the temparute of it rises but so slight you can`t feel it.

Could you still use your "shade only" products????
    There may be two issues here. One, is the water bead acting as a magnifying glass and increasing the intensity of the suns heat and UV damage underneath it? Two, and the most likely is that the water and whatever products you are using dry too fast. That would cause water spots especailly in hard water and your product probably wouldn`t work as it`s supposed to under that kind of heat.

If you want to get scientific, borrow or buy an infrared thermometer and measure the paint temperature under all these different conditions. Just know too that a cheap IT won`t be as accurate on white or silver paint or chrome as it is on black paint.

Thread Information