Post Thanks / Like
    PC Polishing pads that is!

I understand there might be a few threads out there now answering these questions. However I`m way too swamped with homework to do a search for anything, and I need to order before this weekend because I have a job on Saturday (weather permitting)

I have since retired my first pad. A Sonus v.2 model, orange light cutting pad. It was a good pad, but the velcro area is beginning to seperate, and the `face` is getting kind of `knubbly`.

But the good news is that I get to buy some new pads! I would like something of good quality, and something different than the Sonus line (great pads, but I`d like to be able to try other brands as well for comparison). I would like 1 or 2 yellow cutting (I think I`ve become skilled enough with the PC for this) pads, 1 or 2 orange light cutting pads, and 3-4 white polshing pads. I haven`t used the `variable contact` pads, but how do they compare to the tradtional flat pads I`m used to?

What brands are worthy? Obviously LC, Meg`s (pricey?), etc.

For the 7-8 pads, I`d like to keep it around ~$80 including shipping if possible. And, an [almost] necessity would be shopping all from the same place. I`ve checked out TOL, CMA, and Detailers Paradise. Just wanna know what some of your opinions may be.

Btw, I`m not really in the market for a pad kit. I don`t need any of the finishin pads, or bonnets etc that they normally come with.

Thanks in advance :wavey
    -Glenn Jr.

There is always room to learn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glenn,

You planning to use them only on a PC or on a rotary too?
    Later ......

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    For now just a PC. I`m still sucking up to my parents so I might find a DeWalt with a few pads under the tree this December.
    -Glenn Jr.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like Meguiars Soft Buff pads and aka Patrick has some really nice pads on his site too. I don`t know who makes them though but I think they are around $7.50 each and the velcro backing covers almost the entire back of the pad. I haven`t tried any LC pads but I have heard good things about them too.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the Meg`s flat pads (W8006 & 9006) and also the LC orange (vc) has worked well for me also. I think you should get one or two of each to figure out which type you like best (flat or vc). It`s better to have a pad or two you don`t like "as-well-as-the-others", than buying all the same type and not liking any of them.

I haven`t used any Sonus pads yet, but I`ve heard so many good things about them that that`ll be my next order along with a couple of Patrick`s pads to try out.

You should be able to find the Meg`s pads locally at a parts store that carries auto paint. Note that the burgundy cutting pad (W7006) is not recommended by Meg`s for use on the pc, although some do/have used it.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks John.

I`ll see if I can find anything locally. Do you think something like a Sherwin-Williams might have them, or might I need to go to body shop? Anyone in VA know of any places that sell them?

Any specific franchises that normally carry these guys?

Thanks
    -Glenn Jr.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by MongooseGA

.......Do you think something like a Sherwin-Williams might have them, or might I need to go to body shop? .....
    The last Meg`s pads I bought locally were at a Car Quest auto parts store that deals in auto paint and supplies.

I`d just try the yellow pages and start calling parts stores until you find one. Usually even if they don`t carry painting supplies they can tell you who does.

Better yet, here`s a link on the Meg`s site that will locate a store in your area, just check the box for Meguiar`s Professional Products or you`ll wind up with all the Wal-Marts, etc....

http://www.meguiars.com/DealerLocato...r_template.cfm
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    `Preciate it!

:wavey
    -Glenn Jr.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, i placed my order on Fri and it shipped out today. (Yeah, i missed the shipping deadline by about an hour :angry :doh )

Anyway, the bill came to about 90 w/o my ABC discount. I got 2 LC orange light cutting pads, 3 LC white polishing, some Sonus dew wunder wasche (heard great things) and 2 sets of the purple passion WW MF from the garage sale (30% off!!! :shocked )

Should be here in a couple of days.

Any reccomendations with these particular pads? Tips, tricks?

:bounce
    -Glenn Jr.

Thread Information