Post Thanks / Like
    Ive read a number of posts where people are using a polish that has fillers. They`ll polish, wipe with alcohol to remove the fillers and then move on to the next step or polish some more if imperfections remain. That seems like an extra step.

Is there an advantage to this? Why not just use a polish that doesn`t have fillers in it? Many people seem to think that fillers are not that great and the better idea is to REMOVE the imperfections rather than fill them.

After reading lots of posts panning fillers, I decided to get filler free polishes and some glaze instead to use on my black ss. My other two cars won`t get the glaze, and I don`t have to worry about fillers.

Am I missing something here? Or just overanalysing?

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    If your using a polish with fillers then are going to follow it with something like AIO which removes the fillers you want to remove them ahead of time to see your progress.

It is an extra step but an easy quick one. Even the glaze your going to use may have fillers which may migrate out or be removed depending on what you follow it with. So it may be a wasted step.
    PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

Post Thanks / Like
    You can go over the to to remove by using a Prepsol like product then following with an alcohol wipe down to ensure any broken down waxes or fillers are completely gone.

I still use 1z products because although they contain wax, the above procedure confirms the defects are really gone. Nothing else I have seems to be as effective as the 1z on my paint unless of course, a line like Menzerna via rotary. I won`t attempt that for such minute micromarring though :nixweiss
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    What if you didn`t let 1zPP or1zMP dry to a haze as directed? Maybe getting it off the car while still wet will remove the fillers too. I noticed with 1zUP they actually suggest wiping it off while wet to save time. What is the purpose for allowing products to "dry to a haze" anyway? To facilitate removal?

BTW, I didn`t notice any scratches reappearing or worsening after applying AIO to a surface prepped with 1zPP and 1zMP. Are we sure AIO will remove the fillers contained in those products?

Mikeman
    Attain perfection! Remove more clearcoat today!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope, the fillers would be in the paint if you wiped the polish wet or hazed. To ensure 100% they are gone, use the alcohol/prepsol then AIO

Post Thanks / Like
    If you like the idea of fillers in your polish, what`s a good LSP to follow up with? Which products will actually seal in the fillers? I`d guess anything without abrasives or chemical cleaners. Hmmm...I wonder how SG would work right on top of 1zMP? 1zGW would surely take advantage of the fillers.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Mikeman

I wonder how SG would work right on top of 1zMP?

It will not work. SG will not bond to MP. You would need to AIO first and that would remove anything left behind by MP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Use a carnauba wax

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, guys!

Stevet,

That last post of yours saved me some time. I would have tried the MP + SG.

Bill D,

When my AIO + SG wears out, I`ll try my PS directly over 1zMP on my Salsa Red paint. If my 1z polishes have fillers, I want to see them in action. Maybe the PS + 1z fillers will look even better than AIO/SG on my car. Durability I don`t really care about at this point.

I bought the PS just out of curiosity. It was so expensive I just had to check it out. I`ll be topping 3 layers of SG with the PS in a few weeks. Right now, I`m adding a layer of SG every Sunday.

Mikeman
    Attain perfection! Remove more clearcoat today!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Bill D

You can go over the to to remove by using a Prepsol like product then following with an alcohol wipe down to ensure any broken down waxes or fillers are completely gone.

I still use 1z products because although they contain wax, the above procedure confirms the defects are really gone. Nothing else I have seems to be as effective as the 1z on my paint unless of course, a line like Menzerna via rotary. I won`t attempt that for such minute micromarring though :nixweiss

I guess my question is, why use a polish with fillers if you`re going to remove them anyway. Bill sort of gives an answer saying he likes the way 1z works enough to deal with it. Aren`t there enough polishes without fillers to pick one that works? Or are some with fillers that much better? If so, which ones?

Or am I still missing something?

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    What is PS? Souveran I take it?

If so, then yep you`re on the right track, if you don`t care about durabilty, go with Souveran especially on dark colors.

In my case 1z appears to be the polish that works well via DA even though it has wax in it. I`m amazed how almost all of the time it does indeed remove for me and that`s after an involved Prep-All/ isopropyl alcohol wipe down of each section. I rarely have to make another pass. The other stuff just doesn`t work as well :nixweiss.

Now on the Caddy, that paint is so tough it would respond to a rotary only. I`m not satisified with my rotary skills nor do I paint thickness read out of the entire car to risk putting a rotary to this 15 year old orignal paint, only an Autopian would detect the defects so I`m going to leave that one be for the time being.

3m and Menzerna`s line are the first ones off the top of my head I

could recommend for filler free polishing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Poor Boy`s SSR`S have no fillers and are suppost to be a very good polish. I`m thinking of giving them a try.

Thread Information