Thread: New black Benz

D3mon
    My mom just bought a new black c320 Kompressor. I already detailed our old E30 bmw soo I have almost everything I need. I washed the car today, clayed it ( I dont think it needed it since it was already smooth), and I put 2 coats of AIO on. Except for one side because I didnt have enough time. Will it be ok for me to fishing the last side tomorrow after my mom has drivin the car or will I have to wash it again?

After that I plan on putting 2-3 coats of SG on. Does the extra coats really make a difference?

I plan on buying some of that Pinnacle SouverĂƒ¤n Carnauba Wax to top it all off. Whould using the Gray buffing pad be ok with this stuff? I read that it wasnt that durible so washing it might take it off so What type of shampoo should I be washing the car with? Right now i have this generic stuff from the dollor store, which i think had no wax in it ( I hope)

The car looks sweet but Im kinda dissapointed in the fact that there is ALOT of orange peel for a benz, I expected to see almost none but it seems like it has even more than my moms OLD bmw:nixweiss

I guess i just was rambling on but I asked a couple of questions in my writings, thanks in advance for reponces!

Post Thanks / Like
    There isn`t any need for 2 coats of AIO because of the strong cleaners in it. I would wash before adding SG, just to be safe.

I recommend applying carnauba waxes with a foam hand applicator. Souveran should be good for about a month or two.

A very nice shampoo at a great price is Meguiar`s NXT Wash available at Auto Zone, Wal-Mart, etc. For about $6 you get 64oz.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the new car, and welcome to Autopia!!!

You`ll definitely want to wash the car before applying the SG, otherwise you stand a good chance of rubbing contaminants (dust, dirt, grit, etc.) into the paint, causing swirls.

I`ve also got a Black C230, and when it`s cleaned up , it`s a truly stunning looking car. (I also use Klasse AIO & SG, but I don`t use a `topper` as I really like the appearance of the SG alone)

As far as shampoos for the car, I really liked the Mercedes stuff that came with the car (may have been a dealer perk . . . I don`t know if everybody gets it). It was relabelled Meguiars stuff, and for the most part, you can`t go wrong with their stuff. If you use the search button here, you`ll find many more recommendations for Sonus, 1ZPearls, Griot`s Garage, etc.

As long as you are using a shampoo made for automotive paint, you should be alright (avoid dishwashing detergent like the plague!!!). After that requirement, then the decision is strictly a personal one based upon your preferences for:

- suds

- smell

- lubricity

- cost

- availability

- sheeting vs. beading action

- final appearance after washing

Enjoy your car (or your mom`s car), and the detailing of it!

2000 Volvo S80</p>

2006 Nissan Murano</p>

2011 BMW 328i</p>

2014 Mercedes E350

D3mon
    thanks for the responce guys! Just to let ya know im not a new member, my old sn schneider325, for some reason wasnt letting me login so i just made this one (bmw and benz mixed together).

I`ll probably wash the car tomorrow after crosscounty practice and put the AIO on, on the last side that I didnt do.

So there is noo reason to do 2 coats of AIO?!?!? I heard you are so post to do 2 and even 3 in some areas. I hope i havnt been wasting my time going over each area twice!

I cant wait to uuse the SG I have had it all summer and havnt used it. Even when I detailed the old bimmer i didnt use it. I bet it makes a huge difference

I guess i`ll try the sonus shampoo when I pick up the wax. I want to get the car protected as soon as possible to prevent all those chips from the road. The whole car is glossy and looks like rock chip heaven so I want to get the wax on the better.

dmatre, did you notice alota orange peel on your benz when you first got it? there seems to be alot on my moms.

p.s for those who remember my old sn schneider325 and the old BMW I detailed ( now my car) Its getting very bad now and for some reason huge chips are showing up with white stuff outlining it lol, After the winter when my mom isnt driving it ( benz will be in garadge) I`ll take it apart repaint all the trim and probably have the rest of the car repainted

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I dunno, if my car was dirty or I just wanted a perfectly clean surface, 2 coats of All-In-One would give me a warm, fuzzy feeling.

I like 2 coats of Sealant Glaze, to make sure you didn`t miss any areas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Definetly wash it before touching it especially since it is black. You gotta love that black mercedes paint. We had a 98 C230 and now have a 01 C320. I love MB`s but have to say the quality and service goes down every year, I hope they get their act together soon. I use Zaino Z2 on mine but hear alot of good about AIO and thing PS is one of the best waxes I ever used, especially on black but since mine sits outside and I live near an airport and refineries and it takes alot of abuse I have been sticking with Zaino on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    You may want to look into www.xpel.com (or any of the dealers that sell the 3m film) to protect you from the chips, I wish I did my MB when it was new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by D3mon

dmatre, did you notice alota orange peel on your benz when you first got it? there seems to be alot on my moms.

After looking at some of the threads here, I would say it definitely has orange peel, but not a lot compared to some (Hondas seem to be exceptionally bad lately).

It`s certainly not as smooth as the paint on my last car (`87 MB 300TD).

2000 Volvo S80</p>

2006 Nissan Murano</p>

2011 BMW 328i</p>

2014 Mercedes E350

Thread Information