Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, Im a glutton for punishment. LAst weekend I was whining about the Blackwood I did that I wasnt satisfied with. This weekend I took in a Windstar that the owners have wanted me to do for a while. Wow is this thing a mess!!!! At least the outside is a light, metallic green.

They have a 3 car garage, but still park their cars outside??? So this will be outside 24/7 and might get an occasional drive through car wash. So I`m wondering what is the best of the :LSP`s I have that will give a wet look and last the longest:

Collinite 476

S100

Megs cleaner wax (mirrorglaze)

Wolfgang

EX-P

Wax Frenzy

NXT

Im leaning towards Collinite. I put some on my red Lightning back in MAy before a long road trip. I have to say it lasted a long time (just now starting to break down) and actually had a pretty wet look. I think people are unfairly harsh on Collinite looks. Opinions?

OH Im planning to try IP / FP by rotary with foam pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree on the Collinite 476S, both as far as a) what to use for this job and also b) about how others are pretty harsh on how it looks. I`ve used it on family/friends` vehicles and I`ve never had anyone complain about how it looks, all I hear is how it lasted so long and how the beading was unbelievable.

To a "non-Autopian", the beading alone will be *so* impressive as to make Collinite the best choice. The little differences in appearance (e.g., EX-P vs. WG) will never be apparent to most people but how long it keeps beading will make a real impression.

Post Thanks / Like
    NXT topped with #16 is a great combo
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Don M

NXT topped with #16 is a great combo

That is not going to work. He is looking for durability. I say Collinite 476S.
    Antonio Wright - Mdetailer@Gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, much as I love #16 (just put some more on Accumulatorette`s A8), the 476s just blows it away when it comes to durability. The #16 does look better though, not that most people could/would notice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another vote for Collinite 476S. unless you want to go with Klasse or Zaino
    Detailing is not an obession, its a way of life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Alright alright, now i have to go and buy Collonite eh !?
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    EX-P is going strong after an application in April on a customers tan S420 that due to a remodeling project sits outside most of the time. Decent beading and some slickness.

I`ve been very happy with EX w/carnauba as well.

Of the products listed both #16 and EX-P have lasted the longest on my customer`s cars. Never tried Collinite, but I hear it is pretty tough stuff.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Antonio Wright

That is not going to work. He is looking for durability. I say Collinite 476S.
    Hes also looking for a wet look....So maybe it will.....
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just another caution that when we talk about a "wet" look, we`re splitting hairs and the average person won`t discern a difference.

Playing to your audience and all that....the average person just understands that the vehicle looks great for a long time and the water beads up really well.

It`s not like using Collinite will make the paint look dull or dried out or anything like that. I just put it on the Volvo (after extensive polishing) doing one coat the "regular" way and the second using the "spit shine" method with a QD for the "spit". It definitely looked *WET*. People were absolutely *staring* at it, like they`d never seen an old Volvo looking like that. It was weird getting all that attention just driving the beater I`m giving to an in-law (gee, I sure hope she appreciates it ).

Scottwax- heh heh, for the umpteenth time I sure hope you try out the 476S and let us know what your customers say about it. OK OK, I`ll quit beating *that* drum for a while

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the feedback all. In the end I went with:

SFP with polishing pad on rotary at about 1500rpm

Collinite 476 by hand

The van really looked great, the metallic really popped and it did give a wet, glow to the paint. Also in the 80-82* temps yesterday the collinite was very easy to work with. It spread super easy and removed easy as well (not quite as good in cold weather though). I did one panel at a time with regular method. Im going to post pics in Click and Brag, probably tomorrow, titled "nasty Windstar".

The owners were very impressed, I might be getting one of their neighbors vans soon.

On a side note, I started out using IP / FP. I had no problems with the IP went on easy, good results came off easy (except a few spatters). When it came time to use the FP I had nothing but problems. It gummed up, was hard to remove, didnt spread worth a crap. I dont know what Im doing but thats twice now that Ive tried menzerna and twice Ive had problems. Anyone want to buy 2 almost full bottles of IP and FP?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Scottwax

EX-P is going strong after an application in April on a customers tan S420 that due to a remodeling project sits outside most of the time. Decent beading and some slickness.

I`ve been very happy with EX w/carnauba as well.

Of the products listed both #16 and EX-P have lasted the longest on my customer`s cars. Never tried Collinite, but I hear it is pretty tough stuff.

Scottwax,

Didn`t you get good durability from CMW?

Perhaps that would fill the bill of both durability and achieving the "wet look".
    Interviewer: : Rock, you got anything derogatory to say about the champ?

Rocky Balboa: Derogatory? Yeah. He`s great

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by NHBFAN

Scottwax,

Didn`t you get good durability from CMW?

Perhaps that would fill the bill of both durability and achieving the "wet look".

Yes, I get pretty good durability but the question was about the products listed and CMW wasn`t among them. I get the best durability when I use CMW over VM.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    WHat`s a good source for Collinite? I don`t see any of the Autopia sponsors carrying it. Might as well add one more thing to my shelf especially with winter coming up.

Post Thanks / Like
    JayC- I just order mine directly from Collinite

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information