Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, the more that I wash my car, the more that I notice all the brake dust and mix of everything caked on to the backside of the rims. I took one off today, and tried some simple green, and some rust remover, and some other can that was in my garage. I figured that nothing could really hurt, and none of it did.

Now, the problem is that it only got some of the crap off, about 1/4 of it. It bugs me knowing that the wheels would look better if they were clean all the way around, since you can see the back side of them a small bit.

Has anyone around here found out the best way to get all this crap off?

Post Thanks / Like
    When I detail my rims I will usually use A2Z Wheel cleaner. I agitate the brake dust until it comes off. A word of caution: Don`t let the wheel cleaner dwell longer than a minute to prevent permanent etching. Rinse with lots of water.

I will usually follow the cleaning with Klasse AIO and seal it with SG. This will make it easier to clean your wheels. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    On our 2000 Honda CR-V the rims are polished on the front but painted on the backside.

I pulled all four, used Megs non-acidic wheel cleaner and 0000 fine steel wool to get the build-up off.

I then waxed using a Megs paste wax which I had lying around. Two coats. I , too, am shooting for an easier clean-up in the future.

Peter...in Dener

Post Thanks / Like
    I over spray the inside of my wheels with brake dust cleaner when I wash my car and use a semi-stiff brush to remove loose dirt. Rinese with lots of water. Does a pretty good job and add a bit bling to the wheels.

Jim

Â`</p>

2010 Porsche Cayman S

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a pair of MF gloves to get inside the wheel every other car wash. The mf glove makes it easy to get inside and get it clean. Cleaning it regularly keeps the buildup down, and prevents the huge messy buildup problem.

Its snug in there trying to get it clean, but worth it. Its definetly easier to clean when my 19`s are on then my 18`s during the winter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Acid, neutralizer, and kerosene they will look new again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Auto Care USA

Acid, neutralizer, and kerosene they will look new again.

That sounds dangerous. Can you elaborate more? What kind of acid,neutralizer, any brands? Can clay be incorporated in this regimen at any point?

Will this work on those wheels that have unfinished insides with sorta like grooves ex: late 90`s Honda Accord , my former 93 Maxima

For me, I have 5 spoke 17" wheels, I rarely wash, in between doing so I wipe down very often with old sheepskin mitt no longer good for the finish.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Muc-Off wheel brush (highly recommended by TSW Wheels UK) and EO A2Z to clean the inner side of my wheels. For wipe dry, I would wrap the long wheel brush with a piece of cloth, it works quite fine. The only problem I have is the rust on the rear hubs. Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have this problem with my parents` Mazda 3 with the infamous rear brake dust issue. Also I recently switched to 17" 5 spokes too, so now I need to clean the insides of the wheels rather than just the surface spokes like I am used to.

1) Buy brake pads that produce less dust. Ceramic pads are good I understand, and supposedly common OEM applications. Can`t or haven`t gotten these yet for the 3, although this would be a more permanent solution.

2) Wheel cleaning solutions like A2Z. Spray these inside, and hose off very thoroughly.

3) Tools to reach inside to the back of the wheel. I made a tool out of a stain applicator and paint stirrer... no, it`s not MF or wool, but then again it can`t be worse than a nylon brush. Drawbacks include not being able to reach behind spokes and sometimes to the very backside of the wheel where there may be a lip.

Post Thanks / Like
    4DSC, do you have problem maintaining the wheel lips? The reason I ask this is because usually the wheel lips will trap dirty water. If left for a long time, it might leave a spot on the wheel lip. Also, if tap water is left air dried on the wheel lip, water spotting will happen too. My wheels have non-clearcoated wheel lip, what`s the best way to remove contaminants without damaging the surface?

1) use AG Intensive Tar Remover?

2) aggitate with EO A2Z?

3) clay?

4) apply AG SRP/MG NXT Tech Wax?

5) apply paint cleaner?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    ive thought about even taking off the wheel to get every part on the inside

Post Thanks / Like
    When I`m changing from summer/winter tires and wheels, or rotating them, I spend a little time getting the backsides *really* clean and sealed with something durable (good time to do the inaccessible areas in the wheelwells, too). Then I can keep `em clean without too much trouble. I haven`t even been using wheel cleaner this year, just a sorta-strong shampoo mix. Unless you have BBS-style wheels, there`s usually some way to reach the back sides if you play around with different tools.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by zey

The only problem I have is the rust on the rear hubs. Any suggestions?

Wire brush to remove as much rust as possible. Then clean, prime and paint. Just use some black spray paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by zey

4DSC, do you have problem maintaining the wheel lips?
    Well, no I don`t. None of the wheels I deal with have very big lips, and the lip that I referred to in my post above is the inside one that you can`t see.... I don`t think you can really clean that well unless you actually remove the wheel.

For the rust on your hub I`m pretty sure you could use rust remover/naval jelly on it, rinse, and then prime and paint. Or just paint. Maybe with high temp paint. I`m going to try something like this soon if I can squeeze in the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    zey, your te`s are amazing!!!:shocked

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information