Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    ...will I ever NOT clay before I detail. Hope I got someone`s attention who was also scared to death of using a clay product.

Yes, I read all the info from the great people here but there was something I could not accept about rubbing a product against my precious Jetta wagon (diesel) whose purpose was to pick up debris and yet I was supposed to keep using it all over the rest of the car and only knead it around.

Can`t work, has to scratch the rest of the car, just has to-where does all that junk go to, apparently the same place it does in a micro towel (which I also had a hard time with!) to another dimension I guess.

If you have not used clay, DO IT, the results are phenomenal and I am a very fussy person. It was was too easy, like the Klasse twins really. I did the car in about 15 minutes and it is very slick.

Since I was going to do the twins I first washed with Dawn, dried and used an awful lot of the detail spray-nearly the entire bottle- and then just lightly rubbed, back and forth over the entire car. I did not wipe dry but did wash again with Dawn and then with Griot`s wash. There was a great deal of haze but when drying the car it came off perfectly and I admit for a while I was very concerned.

What was difficult to believe is what came off what I thought was a very clean car, always garaged, washed alot and Klassed alot, in a word it was amazing.

I have inspected the car from every angle and there is not a single swirl or scratch the stuff is incredible.

Just do it,

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve had nothing but good experiences with mothers clay. its amazing when you look at the clay after you do the entire car. I`m not sure about yours but mine had all these little black spots on it and was a lot darker than when i started.
    B&W Speakers, Transparent cables, Classe amps coming soon

Post Thanks / Like
    i was also amazed at how smooth the surface was my first time. last year was my first time seeing this stuff(clay magic blue bar) at pepboys, well i bought it out of curiosity, tested a section of the with my hand in a thin ziplock samwich bag, wow the car felt like sandpaper very rough.(it`s a 94, bought clay in 2003) i then used the lubricant, and rubbed the surface, wow i was very careful i could almost feel the clay working, i then inspected the area with my eye, looked pretty clean and the lubricant added shine. i put the sandwich bag over my finger and felt the surface wow! holy smokes, no way, how the hell, this is awsome. i was sold. and now use clay before starting most of my polishing.

has anyone used both claymagic and mothers gold, how do they compare? claymagic is very hard to find, pepboys or r&s do not sell it anymore. the nearest place is one hour from my house, or sometimes i pick some up when i`m in the city at autozone. i see mothers gold is available everywhere, just wondering if there is any difference, besides price, because mothers puts a package together and sells for about 20, and clay magic is only 10.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by cheapshot

has anyone used both claymagic and mothers gold, how do they compare? claymagic is very hard to find, pepboys or r&s do not sell it anymore. the nearest place is one hour from my house, or sometimes i pick some up when i`m in the city at autozone.

Oh crap!

Are you sure?? Glad I was able to snag a bunch on clearance out of state last year. Oh well, I`ll go with the Autopia clay for now on once I need more clay I guess

I had a sample of Erazer clay which I understand is Mothers clay,

In my recent detail I used both, I recall how when used for first time the Erazer was stickier than the Clay Magic but now it seems less so, I suppose both grip the same for me now. I was going to just go with Clay Magic due to ,like you pointed out, price and availablity but now I see that may not be the case any more.

Give the Autopia clays a shot, I hear good stuff about them.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    For me there isn`t a lot of diff between the Mothers clay and the consumer retail Clay Magic. It`s even hard to compare stickiness since weather plays a big factor in how a clay "feels". Bottom line is both are excellent products so get the one that`s easier to find.

If ya gotta have Clay Magic, check out 3M`s clay which is the same thing. Or just buy it online from any number of vendors.

The Sonus clay bar is noticeably milder in cleaning action than Mothers or Clay Magic. That`s either good or bad depending on the surface condition of what you`re claying.

Post Thanks / Like
    The new Megs clays are also the blue and red Clay Magic. A good paint and body supply store will have them.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear it worked so well.

Something you might try next time, to avoid *any* chance of scratching, is to cut the clay into small pieces. Use a piece on one panel and pitch it (or save it for wheels, etc.). That way you don`t have to rely on the dirt staying "caught up" in the clay when you knead it. You wouldn`t want something to work its way back to the part of the clay that`s touching the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Accumulator

cut the clay into small pieces.

I do that too. I always cut a couple extra chunks so that when I drop one on the ground I can throw it away without wasting a bigger piece.

Post Thanks / Like
    If ya gotta have Clay Magic, check out 3M`s clay which is the same thing. Or just buy it online from any number of vendors.

I can never find 3M clay online. Any suggestion?

Post Thanks / Like
    the only problem i had with the mother clay was that it was really tough to kneed?(sp)

is it me or is that a conseus around the forum?

Post Thanks / Like
    the only problem i had with the mother clay was that it was really tough to kneed?(sp)

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by outsider

I have no experience with Mother`s clay, but I use Blackfire Polyclay and found the same thing - tough to kneed. :nixweiss

Then, I read a post that said cut the clay bar in 1/2`s or 1/4`s, roll the piece into a ball, roll the ball around in your hands (to warm it up a bit) and then flatten. This made an immense difference in ease of use. :up

Give that a try and report back please.

Regards,

Dan.

Post Thanks / Like
    When the clay is stiff, I`ll sometimes put it in aluminum foil (to avoid a mess) and put it in my pocket. The heat softens it up and I`ll pull it out to spot-clay as needed while I`m washing the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    The clay should not be tough to kneed...if you stretch it out first...stretch, fold, stretch, fold etc....never had a problem.
    If it stands still....wax it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do the same thing as Accumulator exept I use a small baggie. The body warms really makes a difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information