Post Thanks / Like
    Any downsides to doing the interior first when detailing? It`s always been just habit to do the outside first then move inside esp since often times I`m using sealants that need to cure. BUT when it`s an instance of someone just wanting a base single process detail for the exterior I`m thinking of doing the Interoir first as it`s my least favorite part of the detail. Is there any negative effects of doing this.

Only thing that I can come up with is that If I spend too much time on the interior and it starts to get dark that I could run into problems with moisture settling on the paint as I get near dusk...any other thougts on negatives to doing the interior first?

Andy

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ~One mans opinion / observations~

I usually clean/condition the interior first unless I have access to a separate wet bay area, by doing the interior first there is little chance of bringing in wet shoes marks and/or mud etc

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have always cleaned the exterior first...I guess if I don`t have time to do the interior at least it looks like I did something to others...:nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    I always do the interior first. Last thing I want to do after detailing the exterior is eet dust from vacuuming or overspray from interior cleaners all over the freshly polished and sealed paint.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Scottwax

I always do the interior first. Last thing I want to do after detailing the exterior is eet dust from vacuuming or overspray from interior cleaners all over the freshly polished and sealed paint.

Same here.

Also, if I were to do the outside first, I wouldn`t like the thought of when I clean the doorjambs, the rag could touch the paint...
    "If you want to be rich - work. If you want to be clever - study. But if you want to be happy - do what you really like"

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve always cleaned my interior prior to starting the exterior. I hate seeing dirty paint, but not as much as I hate a dusty interior. Since I spend more time inside the car, than outside looking at it, I am much more meticulous about the interior as compared to the exterior (and that says a LOT).

Frankly, I don`t think the order makes much a difference one way or the other.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Scottwax

Finally, something I got right the first time ! :bounce

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh yes, interior first. On the occassion that I`ll do a full detail for pay, it always comes first. I can often do this in the person`s garage earlier in the morning, when it may still be a bit too dark to see the outside well, by the time I`m done with it, there`s enough light to do the wash outside.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll have to start doing things the other way. I think that I started doing things exterior first was that I was using Zaino as a LSP back when I started...I`d be able to put the last layer of Zaino on there and then let it sit while I did the interior of the car...then i`d go back to finish up the exterior after giving the Zaino time to cure. While many times I still use sealants as a LSP I don`t often use Zaino anymore so I suppose the need isn`t necessarily there for my old routein either.

Post Thanks / Like
    You should always do the interior first just to give it time to dry.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like to prep the car first; engine bay, jambs, mouldings, exterior wash, toothbrush work etc. then move to the interior. Once that`s finished the exterior work can be done, then the whole project can be looked over and touched up before it`s delivered.
    Just a couple of shiny cars

Thread Information