Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a question about removing Orange peel with a PC 7424.

I had part of my 99 BMW M3 repainted due to a dent in the rear fender of my car, and the paint matches 100%, but there is some SLIGHT orange peel on it.

Is there a way to use the 7424 with either a foam pad or a wool pad and, for example, 3M fine cut rubbing compound to remove the orange peel? Will this combination smooth out the surface of the paint?

I could bring the car back and have the painter wet sand it, but I figured I would ask to see if I could use my PC to improve the paint.

Again, this is very slight orange peel, any normal person would probably never notice, but being as anal as I am, I do!

Thanks for any help and info!

Jesse Chamberlain

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, welcome to Autopia :wavey

I`d be floored if anyone could do it with a PC except, perhaps by using sanding disks Everything I`ve learned tells me that`s wetsanding/ rotary territory
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I`m confused. I thought (think) orange peel is the reflection from your auto`s finish (paint). It`s like a dimpling affect, compared to a razor sharp image, caused by the paint (clear coat) process. This is what I thought orange peel effect is, very noticable on my bimmer. The finish and paint are in excellent condition just a fact of BMW paint jobs! Am I wrong, is orange peel another type of defect that can be corrected? Please let me know. Sometimes first impressions are wrong...

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s a fact of nearly all finishes say, minus a Rolls or Bentley or that Maserati ( recent detail here :up)

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Bill D

It`s a fact of nearly all finishes say, minus a Rolls or Bentley or that Maserati ( recent detail here :up)

Yeah, I know that unless you spend $150K or more on a car, or $10K on a paint job, your going to have orange peel. On my car, with the factory paint, there is some slight orange peel, but on the panel that got repainted, there is slightly MORE orange peel. It doesn`t bother me all that much, and like I said, its hardly noticeable, but I figured I would ask to see what the experts here on this forum had to say.

I love this forum, I learn something new everyday. I have been detailing cars for about a year now, and just found this forum. I love my PC 7424, the results on my 99 M3 is amazing. I have done about 10 other cars, and I am constantly trying new materials (ie Polishes, glazes, waxes). I recently used Klasse AIO and then P21S and the results were amaing. Since my car is Imola Red, I figured I would try the Pinnacle Souverän Wax to see what the results are. I just got it in the mail yesterday. Can`t wait to try it.

Thanks for the info!

Jesse Chamberlain
    http://lynx.dac.neu.edu/j/jechambe/sig2.jpg

1993 325i White with Dove Gray Interior

1999 M3 Imola Red w/Modena Interior

Post Thanks / Like
    Souveran

Can`t wait to get a hold of some myself some time. Like the Rolls Royce of waxes

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JesseBMW-M3

I have a question about removing Orange peel with a PC 7424.

I had part of my 99 BMW M3 repainted due to a dent in the rear fender of my car, and the paint matches 100%, but there is some SLIGHT orange peel on it.

Is there a way to use the 7424 with either a foam pad or a wool pad and, for example, 3M fine cut rubbing compound to remove the orange peel? Will this combination smooth out the surface of the paint?

I could bring the car back and have the painter wet sand it, but I figured I would ask to see if I could use my PC to improve the paint.

Again, this is very slight orange peel, any normal person would probably never notice, but being as anal as I am, I do!

Thanks for any help and info!

Jesse Chamberlain

Orange peel is known in the paint industry as an equipment/operator caused defect, wrong pressure and distance or an operator not knowing how to set-up the equipment for that particular type of paint.

Most car maufacturers today will not touch-up paint after the car is painted due to the excessive amount of work and skill required which cannot be taught to a robot on the assembly line. The Japanese production methods cheats the paint by using mirco abrasives to dull the hood, roof and trunk of its luxuary cars like Lexus, Infinti and Acura to match the gloss of the side panels and doors whilke the higher end German car manufacturers like M-B and BMW actually polishes the sides of the car to match the gloss of the hood, roof and trunk, dulling is faster and a robot can do it and most consumer will not notice a difference especially most higher end cars are leased and the customer doesn`t care two hoots about a minor detail like this.

I would use an agressive compound like Meg`s #84 with a yellow cutting pad and then polish it out with a #80. You need to cut down on those high points that causes the orange peel effect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s some more info on the topic from meguiarsonline:

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ht=orange+peel

Post Thanks / Like
    Get some pics of the e36 M3 on here i see the one in your signature, its one of my favorite cars. :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Orange peel will only disappear if the surface is blocked properly. Buffing will not remove orange peel.

It is very difficult to refinish/spray with out some orange peel. Set up and paint mixing are crucial but usually there will be some peel. When the paint is fresh it is easily blocked to remove orange peel. I`d take the car back to the guy who painted it and request he match the panels better.

I was also told that a function of orange peel is to cut down on seeing the waves in the body panels from the factory. Interesting concept isn`t it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by L33

Get some pics of the e36 M3 on here i see the one in your signature, its one of my favorite cars. :xyxthumbs

I am going to use some AIO and then some Souverän Wax on my car tonight. I will try to take some pictures of the orange peel, but they might not come out. I am going to talk to the painter to see what they can do, but its not too high on my priority list. I do gotta get it done though before winter hits.. and I only have about a month or two left before it starts snowing up here.

Thanks for all the info!

Jesse Chamberlain

Post Thanks / Like
    Even my Audi, which is supposed to have excellent paint, has noticeable (to me) orange peel, I`d say its most prevalent on the rear deck near the badges. Mine is light. Just the nature of the painting process, I`d say on mine unless you know what OP is and how to look for it, you would never know it`s there.

Post Thanks / Like
    My car must have possibly the worst factory spray job in history, it`s riddled with orange peel, and bits that set in the paint before it was properly dry.

Weird I didn`t notice how bad this was until, I got the PC.

I must admit that the PC with 3m PIII MP orange pad and many hours of hard graft at no.6 have improved the situation beyond belief. I could go more abrassive, but the paint is that thin, I`d soon be down the primer.

You gotta love French cars!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, here are some pictures of my car. The first picture is a picture of the Orange peel on the repainted panel:

This next picture is a picture of the factory painted Door panel, and its orange peel:

Now some fun pictures. I just had time to do the hood with Klasse AIO and Souverän Wax. (Ignore the mothers wax, I used that on my wheels)

I have yet to get it out in the sun to look at it, as its 10pm at night, but tommorow when I go to work, I will try to take a picture of it in the sun.

Thanks!

Jesse Chamberlain

Post Thanks / Like
    NICE PIC OF THE RED

Damn that souvern is amazing.

Can you get some daytime pics? I love you see them
    Detailing is not an obession, its a way of life.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information