Page 1 of 12 123456789101112 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Edited on 1/10/05 - See bold print for additions

__________________________________________________ __

I have been getting countless questions about my regimen, so I figured I`d just write up an article and post it. I`d like to thank my girlfriend turning me on to the OXY POWER! a little over a year ago. After playing with different dilutions, I`ve found a great method. Enjoy the read!

__________________________________________________ __

Hey Everyone,

As a professional detailer I have tried many different methods to getting a carpet clean. Currently I use a method that lifts deep down stains and odors out quite well.

What you will need

-Hi-power wet/dry ShopVac or a Bissel Little Green Clean Machine

-Hi-Temp Protein Stain Remover (http://www.topoftheline.com/proteinstainremover.html)

-Costco All Purpose Cleaner

-2 Gallon Bucket

-Medium Hardness Bristled Nylon Brush w/handle

-A good spot remover (I used 303 Spot Remover - http://www.topoftheline.com/303spotremover.html)

What to do

-Vacuum out the upholstery or carpet

-Mix in the 2 gallon bucket: 2 tablespoons of Hi-Temp Protein Stain Remover and 4 ounces of Costco APC and the rest with warm/hot water

-Stir it up with the brush and let it sit for 5 mins for the product to saturate into the water

-While it is saturating, spray your spot remover onto the surface generously, concentrating the spray on the heavier soil spots

-Proceed to then scrub the solution into the carpet. What I do is hold the handled brush and scoop some water with my hand onto the surface. Work in small squares (1`x1`) when agitating and scrub front to back, left and right, repeating over each swipe. You will see the solution saturate into the carpet. Just scrub the solution in and move to your next area.

-When the entire area is saturated, begin where you begun scrubbing the first section. Proceed to extract the water solution out of the carpets/upholstery. I usually take the filter out of the ShopVac (more suction) for this and move slowly over the surface to insure complete extraction of the solution. A Bissel Little Green Clean Machine will provide better results as it spits water (I suggest the non-heated version, just fill the reservoir with hot water) at the carpet before sucking it up. Rule of thumb is to use the hot water spray until you can see there is no longer dirty water being sucked up (the extractor head is clear to see the water).

-When done, the areas will be damp. Leave the doors open with the dome light switched "OFF" and leave the mats in the sun. It should be dry in an hour or two.

-Let it all dry and Voila!

Notes

-Get some crevice tools for the Shopvac. It will help with vacuuming and extracting.

-For tight areas, agitate with your hands or a terry towel.

-For a spot remover, you should be just fine with something that is safe for clothing (IE: Shout Spray)

-Repeat if necessary. For deep stains, just apply the solution and let it sit for about 20 mins, then extract out.

Here are some pictures of the work I have achieved with the exact steps/products listed above:

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Good Luck and post any questions back here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice write up..:up
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    GSRstilez: Nice write up, thanks for taking the time to share your method with us

One question, what do you do to get the carpets dry during the winter months? Some kind of fan blower/heater?

Thanks!
    Later ......

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    nice write up

Post Thanks / Like
    GSR,

First of all, this is a very helpful and timely write up, with the seats and most of the interior out of my `95 530i for cleaning and reconditioning, I`m tackling the carpet of my car this weekend. Started yesterday and will complete the project today. The previous owner LOVED their coffee.

Secondly, my question is more out of curiousity than maliciousness. Although many may take it as malicious, that is not my intention. Others may have the same question.

Lastly, In the first pictured you showed the driver side carpet with no mat and then the second picture has the mat in place. I`m just curous about the carpet under the driver`s side mat. Why wasn`t a picture posted showing the condition of the driver`s side prior to positioning the mat?

Thanks

Perfectionist in Rehab Prometheus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    What did you use on the dash and steering wheel, or was it just bad lighting in the first pic that made it look so dark?

Post Thanks / Like
    you got my "telepathic" pm

This is what I waiting for but felt shy in asking before. A very big thanks and to you. I will save it in my files...

Post Thanks / Like
    Starting from the top...

Thanks for the compliments! I was just a little tired of copying it and pasting it from Word so I published it

RedondoV6: Good Question . I would say leave it in the sun with the windows cracked. The sun through the windows forms a greenhouse effect and leaves the car rather warm and the windows cracked will allow proper airflow.

dternst: Most cars I do are coffee lovers

As far as the mat, I apologize. It must have slipped my mind as the total time on that detail was roughly 7 hours. Take note to the carpeting next to the center console and it`s change as well as the dramatic change on the seats.

Prometheus: I used APC+ diluted 10:1. It took like a full layer of stuff off. I couldn`t believe it. I then dressed with Armor All. The lighting in the pic is slightly brighter (different times in the day), but the color really came up after cleaning.

carcrazy22: Yeah, yours and many others :lol . Good Luck with it!

Post Thanks / Like
    After reading your post throughly .. got couple of questions

I noticed you dont rinse carpet with water only after extracting oxyclean solution - does this leave carpet soft or stiff after its dried ? Have you tried this solution in removing red stains ?

I notice you scoop hot oxyclean water with your hand, wont this make your hand soapy and slippery ? Can I transfer this solution in spraying bottle and spray on carpet 1`x1` and follow your steps ?

Post Thanks / Like
    hi sean,

the pics aren`t working i cannot see them??

Post Thanks / Like
    Pics work fine for me.

Great work and thanks for the tips!

John
    2008 Subaru Outback - Obsidian Black Pearl

1997 Acura Integra - Adriatic Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Pics should be working now

carcrazy: I have never had a problem with not rinsing them. They stay reasonably soft and look great over time. Red stains, not much of a problem. Really deep down dirt is usually its only problem.

Not that slippery. I like to have the carpets saturated with solution so it`s up to you.

Post Thanks / Like
    what do u reecommend to do with a headliner??

Post Thanks / Like
    Great write up Sean

It would be nice if this could be made a sticky.

many threads only cover exterior care

"J"

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a fantastic write-up!! Thanks so much!! I`ve been wondering about your complete process.. You do some Amazing work!!
    2002 Mustang GT Silver

2002 Ford Escape Black

Page 1 of 12 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread Information