Post Thanks / Like
    Well a good friend of mine (and my paint guy) just let me have his extra Dewalt rotary that was rebuilt under warranty and has been sitting on the bench for months.

I would like to get a backing plate and pads for the Rotary BUT get as much cross usage possible out of the pads between the rotary and my PC

Is it OK to run a 6` backing plate on the rotary in order for me to be able to run my 7.5 LC pads that I already have for the PC...also I`m thinking of trying some of the Meguiars soft buff pads as I have yet to be exposed to them BUT with a 6` backing plate the only Meguiars pads that I can use are the 8` pads. If I purchase these 8` pads will they be useless with the PC?

Basically the combo that I`m looking to run is the 7.5 LC pads with a 6` backing plate as I can then use the pads for both the PC and the rotary. Is this acceptable and Will I be wasting my time if I purchase some of the Meguiars 8` pads as well?

Andy

Post Thanks / Like
    BUMP for an answer...

I have the same question. I`ve seen backing plates advertised as "for DA polishers", can they be used with a rotary? What`s the difference? Are they more flexible?

Post Thanks / Like
    My Makita came with a 6.5 backing plate.

I use 7" pads compared to 8" pads for better control. LC are my favs on the rotary.

http://www.properautocare.com/makhigspeedp3.html

Post Thanks / Like
    The backing plates for a PC are completely different than those used on a rotary. Specifically, the PC uses a male input that screws into the unit. A rotary uses a female connector on the backing plate that is usually a larger diameter. They are not interchangeable.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the edge 2000 pads with the quick adapter. Here`s what I like about them?

1) The adapter allows you to quickly change pads (the pads have backing plates built in them)

2) You can order double sided pads, which saves $$$. (you can mix and match cut, polish, and wax/sealer pads as you like).

3) I`ve used 1 pad on 4 cars and it still looks brand new, so it looks like they hold up pretty good.

4) Very easy to clean out.

Talk to Dwayne at premium auto care. They have a special right now. You get a free adapter ($17 value) + if you order 2 or more pads shipping is free.

http://www.premiumautocare.com/fred20quadof.html

I liked these pads so well on my dewalt, that I just ordered them for my PC today.

Post Thanks / Like
    A conventional rotary uses 5/8 x 11 female threading, while a da backing plate uses a 5/16 x 24 male thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been very pleased with the 3M pads. They dont "load up" as do some of the flat pads. Not interchangable w/PC though.

Post Thanks / Like
    eeekkk....again I used poor phrasing. I realize that I need 2 different backing plates...one for the rotary and one for the PC as they have different adapters I was just trying to make sure that there would be pleanty of pads available for the rotary if I went for a 6` rotary backing plate instead of what seems to be a more popular 7` plate. I went ahead and bought a 6` plate for the rotary and now I can use the same 7.5` pads that I already use for the PC AND I picked up some 8` Megs pads for the rotary. suppose that worst comes to worst I can probably still use these pads on the PC although I realize that it could cause a bit of bogging on the machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, being able to use the same pads on all your machines is handy. I use 4" and 6" backing plates on the rotary more than I use the bigger ones. I prefer going that route over using bigger pads on the PC. Sounds like you`re all set now- just see what size pads *you* prefer using on the two machines.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the Sonus pads and really like them.

:xyxthumbs
    Lee
    ES330 in Millenium Silver

Thread Information