Post Thanks / Like
    Just did a black car over the weekend (sorry no pics -yet). Overall the finish was in pretty good shape. Some swirls & minor scratches, nothing deep. Really nothing I haven`t seen before.

I used the rotary set at 1200 with a yellow cut / white polish pad with Pinnacle advanced swirl remover & Pinnacle swirl remover. Then I applied Pinnacle clensing lotion with a PC set to 4. I sealed and waxed by hand using WG and Pinnalce liquid soveran.

Under the florecent lights, I`d say 90-95% of the swirls & light scratches appeared to be removed. VERY wet looking -put a big smile on my face. Then I turned out the lights and ran a flashlight on the paint. OMG, I about sh*t. There were TONS of very minor, but very visiable scratches. I mean they were EVERYWHERE.

First thought.... some how I had a dirty pad on the rotary. I re-did a panel with the same process using brand new pads.

Ahhhh - I got the same results, with very little improvement.

But why?

Wrong product/pad combo?

I switched to what`s worked for me in the past. Menzerna IP on the rotery using a yellow pad. No improvement, after applying it 4 times.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does this marring look like little bits of lint everywhere on your paint? I have experienced marring in this fashion.

See my post to you on the Pinnacle Click and Brag thread.

A yellow cutting pad with a polish like Pinnacle ASR, 3M FI-II, or Menzerna IP (never used it, but speculation) is going to induce more marring than when used with a white pad. If a yellow pad isn`t needed, then step down to a white pad next time, even for the stronger polishes. Just because you are removing swirls, doesn`t mean you have to start with a cutting pad. This will make your job a bit easier next time around. It is completely normal for products in this aggressive level to do this, especially if not worked in all the way. Next you need to use a very fine polish to get the marring out.

Do you have Menzerna FP or FPII on hand? Even with a PC, it has worked very well in removing micro marring on my black German paint. CMA says it`s a 1 on their scale of 1 to 10 abrasiveness, so it really seems to go after the fine stuff without leaving anything behind. White pad, 4-5 on a PC. Not sure what settings to use on a rotary.

Not sure if Pinnacle SR has fine enough abrasives to tackle this, but I have not yet tested it extensively. I did one panel to test it`s abrasive level and found it similar to #9. It wouldn`t leave any marring unless you used it with a yellow pad, but at the same time, it might not remove it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try a polishing pad w/the Swirl Remover and work it in real good. That`s what I did to remove the marring that ASR caused.

Good luck,

Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

I have FP and FPII. I`ll give it a shot with the white pad using rotary set to 1000 first, to see what happens. Can`t do anything until the weekend b/c I`m traveling this week (and obsessing about fixing this!!).

Thread Information