Post Thanks / Like
    I posted a thread in the professional detailers section about the new business I just started. My dad gave one of my cards to someone at work, who collects classic cars. The guy seemed very inetersted, since I could detail the car in their work parking lot and then he can go straight to a car show after work. However, we`re talking like 50`s cars here, and I`m used to new cars... I`m sure they`re probably not original paint, but are there any special considerations that I need to take into effect before working on classic cars?? Thanks!
    1993 Honda Del Sol w/ new 350z sunset LeMans paintjob. Smallest mobile detailing vehicle on the board? (17 and saving for an a4 1.8t)

Joe Granata, Perfect Finish Mobile Auto Detailing

Parma, OH

Post Thanks / Like
    don`t scratch them? really, while i am not a pro detailer, i think you should approach them like any other car. make that, like their *your* car. it probably wouldn`t hurt to find out from the owner what kind of paint (original or not), and test them to see how hard the paint is.

hope this helps. and good luck, i`d love to see some pictures! :wavey
    Reid

2004 Azure Blue Ford Mustang Mach1

Post Thanks / Like
    If they have original paint, take it *very* easy on them as a) that paint`s already been through decades of who-knows-what and b) it`s only original once. Those are *not* the cars to work and work until all the imperfections (and all the paint) are gone.

Older ss takes a little different approach than "modern" paints, and it really will "soak up" glazes.

The repainted ones might be ss or b/c. You`ll have to treat each car on a case-by-case basis.

Ask the owners what`s` been done to these old-timers before you agree to do anything, let alone actually work on them. Don`t try anything you`re not *very* sure of (that`s the process, the products, and your abilities).

Post Thanks / Like
    With regard to polishing and waxing classic cars, the best advice would be to always use the least aggressive methods first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have insurance?

Thread Information