Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve toyed with the idea for some time now. Such a world was opened up to me when Scottwax first unveiled on a Honda forum, a much more intricate and elusive world of detailing I had never known. I was invigorated with the new possibilities of creating paint surfaces that made water tremble and dust flee.

I had become content with my new skills and my light arsenal of polishes and waxes. But then I found Autopia, Detail City, and Show Car Garage. And I realized that Scott (understandably for the sake of the novices he sought to help) had not fully revealed the true world of detailing that one could quickly find themself lost in.

I witnessed detailing in the hands of gurus such as Anthony Orosco, Mike Phillips, and others whose names elude me right now. They did things with cars, that you swore you were only gullible enough to believe, that the before and after pictures of their exploits were actually of the same vehicle. You know, it’s amazing how Anthony got a hold of two identical Ferrari’s to trick us all.

This only sucked me deeper into a world I once thought I had a grasp on, how quickly that veil of ignorance was torn away.

So I spent countless hours re-educating myself, and began filling shelves with more detailing supplies. I sharpened my skills and put them to the test repeatedly.

But now I’m truly worrying about myself. I’ve detailed cars for friends and family, often for a case of beer or nothing at all. I’ve spent enough time in the garage that if I chose instead to run around in the lawn with nothing but a pair of boxers on and a beer in hand, my neighbors might think I was slightly more sane.

This all came to a paramount awareness when I thought back on my detailing activities for the last couple weeks. I realized that I had spent most of my free time visiting detail shops, body & paint stores, Target’s & Wal-Mart’s, and auto supply stores scavenging for supplies I could use to detail – maybe I had missed something the week before. I’d been reacquainting myself with common household items to see if I could fashion them into detailing tools.

Just last night I finally decided to order my first jar of Souveran†but while I was at it, I might as well buy some Pinnacle QD. Oh, and you can never have enough pads, I’ll get some more. And I’ve been so happy with Poorboy’s SSR’s, I think I’ll get some EX with carnauba. And then there’s my friend’s silver 350Z that I’ve never been quite satisfied with, so I’ll get some EX-P – even if his car is the only vehicle I see myself using it for.

We mustn’t forget Ron Reagan’s new shipment of micro fiber towels†click, CC#, BUY. I also just put in an order for a re-dye kit from Leatherique. So you can see that it’s not stopping.

Do I really have a problem; is this a sickness setting in? I don’t know, but I have my suspicions that I’ll be contacting DavidB eventually to set up a support group – of course 20% discounts at Autopia would be expected (or hoped for) to “ease the pain†of members. Whatever happens from here-on-out, I feel that I’m at the mercy of this growing passion that’s certainly stronger than my own self-control.

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes you are sick

And I`m joining you.... just bought a PC... but I already have a HUGE shelf full of product and NEED to buy some SSR and more detail spray, some extra pads ....

Heck I only have 2 cars, 1 is already sooo shiny it hurts the other needs some work.... I am going to have to do all the neighbours cars just to feed the addiction that is the PC when I get it...

Post Thanks / Like
    i know exactly what you are talking about. i just placed an order for some stuff from WCD for stuff that i need. (at least according to me, my wife would beg to differ). since i`ve started to read the posts here i feel like i`ve been bitten by the bug. now i look at all cars and wonder whats the best way to bring out the shine. what makes it even harder is that i live in a townhouse which means i have no garage. i tend to stand around in the evenings calculating the best time to go out and wax the truck. this means having to time the setting of the sun with allowing enough time to finish without being caught in the dark (which i have done before):xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    I read a post on here last week (I can`t remember who it was )....but he said his wife was afraid to stand still for too long lest he grab his pc and start polishing her too!!!

The insanity continues

1988 Toyota Camry

1994 Toyota Landcruiser

Post Thanks / Like
    hehe, that was a great read. Thx.

actually, you are not getting sick, you are actually getting better. You see the people out there who do not have this "sickness" are in fact sick themselves.

...Do you play army games with your bottles of supplies too ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the commentary. I like your writing style :up .

Post Thanks / Like
    We all are sick especially when I go out to dinner with my wife and the meal is not so good Im thinking with the money I spent on dinner I could have got another wax a polish a few MF towels.

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in a townhouse, I do have a garage but it`s only 10`x20` so it`s REALLY small. I just bought a double halogen spot light on a tripod with 1000Watts of lighting so I can wax in the garage or at night

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by wing

I live in a townhouse, I do have a garage but it`s only 10`x20` so it`s REALLY small. I just bought a double halogen spot light on a tripod with 1000Watts of lighting so I can wax in the garage or at night

my garage is the same size.. i have been looking into getting a halogen light w/stands too.. i have 4 flourecent light on the ceiling but it doesnt give me the light i need from the sides and back. i :heart: my garage.. although it could be a little bigger.

my mini garage... i am suprised how much stuff i have gotten in there.. i have a nice tall rolling set of clear drawers for all my MF towels, a double set of drawers for products, hang on the wall shop vac, 2 sets of gorrilla shelves, a work bench with peg board, a nice sized fridge, and still room for my car.

clean car = happy car

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by SK2003TypeS

...Do you play army games with your bottles of supplies too ?

Well all I have to say to that is... no, um no. Okay I have, but the bottles are on an extended leave now, due to what we could just call a mishap. Apparently the Mother`s products got confused and started picking each other off. Not to mention the entire Gold Class line deserted since the Mirror Glaze platoon was patronizing them. So you can see how it`s a little difficult to get the army back together.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the addiction, I`ll be joining that rehabilitation group with you....well only for the discount atleast :p

Great post.

Post Thanks / Like
    I should take a picture of my garage, it`s retarded what I have in there.... Just have to be organized!

Might I suggest shelves on the upper part of the garage along the sides, lots of room that way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dude, if you`re not a professional writer, you ought to be. What prose!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    YOUR NOT ALONE! Count me in for the support group. I have spent in the past three months about $500.00 in detailing supplies and excessories. My wife was pissed that on my daughters birthday, my little girl got all excited when three boxes arrived in the mail. She thought they were for her from relitaves from out of state. Nope, two were from David here at the the site and one from QEW. (My little girl did get spoiled though) I have a 24x28 second garage that houses the lawn equipment, bikes, saws and tools on one side and 9 foot of cabinets on the other that house all my detailing supplies. I need more cabinets. I`m almost complete now that I have a small fridge for beer. All I need now is to plumb a bathroom and I`ll never leave the garage. I have to work Overtime just to pay for my obsessive love of detailing. The wife was pissed at first, but when friends and neighbors ask how she putts up with me spending every waking moment in the garage, all she says is, "Atleast I know where he is and he`s not out screwing around spending all his money at the bar." Well, it`s settled, I guess she doesn`t mind me having an affair with the family vehicles.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. / Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by longarm

My wife was pissed that on my daughters birthday, my little girl got all excited when three boxes arrived in the mail. She thought they were for her from relitaves from out of state. Nope, two were from David here at the the site and one from QEW.

that there is funny

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information