Thread: Vinyl Repair

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a few small rips (1/4") in my door panel and in the rear hatch there`s a piece of soft vinyl that has cracked from the sun I think.

I`m not shooting for perfection; just something that I can seal the cracks with and not have them keep spreading. Any suggestions on what might do that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Duct tape?

No, seriously I am an old interior guy. There isn`t much you can do in ways to salvage what`s there but if you were just wanting to preserve, what I would do is remove the door panel (don`t break those clips!), peel the cover loose, use a good quality tape on the backside to bring the 2 sides of the cut together, use 3M spray adhesive to reattach the cover to the panel and reinstall.

On the peice in the back if it is sun damage cracks there probably isn`t much you can do but you might try the same process.
    Autoeng

Post Thanks / Like
    Shoot the cracked piece has a foam (and cardboard I think) backing so that won`t work. Is there no glue that will bond to it that I can just fill the crack in with from the surface?

I can keep it from cracking further due to the sun with proper conditioner, but right now I think I`ll disslodge the cracked bits if I try applying any cleaner or conditioner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Autoeng

what I would do is remove the door panel (don`t break those clips!), peel the cover loose, ...use 3M spray adhesive to reattach the cover to the panel and reinstall.

Per earlier if the cover / foam can be peeled from the cardboard backer that is the method I would use.

There is no other method that I know of.
    Autoeng

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, thanks autoeng - I misunderstood your original suggestion but I understand now. What do you recommend for tape, and do you know who carries the adhesive spray?

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to get by I think I would really use Duct tape and 3M makes trim adhesive carried by most auto supply stores. It is #08074, 08088 or #8090. Any of the 3 will work fine in this application but if you have a choice get the 88 or 90.

When you are peeling the covering off you want to make sure to tear as little of the foam backing as possible. Use a putty knife or razor blade to separate the covering from the board backer to minimize tearing of the foam. When you are ready to put it back on spray according to directions but try to be minimal on the foam so as to not saturate it.
    Autoeng

Post Thanks / Like
    Contact a mobile interior company that generally work the carlots and see if they can help.

Post Thanks / Like
    How could I track them down? Just ask at a dealership maybe? Would I have better luck at a used car lot or an actual dealer?

I wouldn`t go through so much trouble but the piece with the sun crack is very, very rare on my car being part of the rear seat option on a 1st Gen RX-7.

Thread Information