Post Thanks / Like
    To get out stubborn swirls, which pad would you use? I`m wondering if #83 DACP is too strong to use with a yellow cutting pad and I would be better using a white polishing pad?

I was thinking

#83 DACP on yellow pad

#9 swirl remover on white pad

AIO on white pad

SG by hand....

Post Thanks / Like
    try it with any pad and see what works for you

Post Thanks / Like
    hello,

you can use a yellow pad with minimum cutting action or an orange pad with more cutting action. Make sure you work on the DACP until it turns dry or powdery. If not it will leave your finish a bit glazed up (my experience with orange pad) and aslo set the PC (if you are using one) at around 5-5.5 rpm. Follow up with #9 to bring back the shine especially on black cars, then NXT or whatever your favorite glaze, wax preffered.

Goodluck,

Ricky

Post Thanks / Like
    I wasn`t aware I could use the orange pad... as it`s 6.5" and i have a 5" backing plate...

I`m a noob I`d like to purchase everything I will need NOW and only update as required later

EDIT: Actually I was aware the orange pad worked, but wasn`t aware it was different than yellow besides colour...

Post Thanks / Like
    If you`re not sure, then start off with the polishing pad (white) by default first. That seems to do fairly well. If that`s not strong enough, then step up to the orange or yellow cutting pad.

If this is the CMA orange pad I have found it to be milder than a cutting pad BTW, not stronger. It`s kind of in between polishing and cutting it seems.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I posted this today on MOL,

Product, Pad and Speed settings for the Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher

Additional considerationsâ€

The above recommendations are only a starting point. Keep in mind; there are many variables, which contribute to the overall performance of a product, and the end result.

For example:

1) Paint – Type of paint, age of paint, hardness of paintâ€all of these play into which pad and product will work best for that particular application.

2) Pressure – Increased pressure means increased “cutting actionâ€â€In some cases this is needed, and in other case this could be detrimental to the surface.

3) OPM’s – By increasing the OPM`s’s of the machine, you automatically increase the action of the machine. This means additional “cutting action†for when using products that have swirl removal capability. However, if you’re simply spreading “waxâ€, you should reduce the speed of the machine at this stage of application.

4) Arm Speed – The quicker you move your arms back and forth, the less chance the product has to do it job. For example, a swirl remover needs to be allowed to work itself into the surface. The slower the arm speed the greater chance of removing swirls.

5) Pad Choice – The more aggressive the pad, the more “cutting†action will take place. You must first evaluate your finish, determine your goal, and then choose the appropriate pad to do the job.

6) Product Choice - You must first evaluate your finish, determine your goal, and then choose the appropriate product to do the job.

By evaluating the finish, choosing the right product, and using good techniques, a quality finish can be achieved fairly simply.

There`s one for the rotary buffer also...

Product, Pad and Speed settings for the Rotary Buffer

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    You said "stubborn" so use a cutting pad or you be working on it all day and get frustrated.....I speak from experience here.

Search my profile for my black F150 work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,

Thanks for that info! I just picked up a Meguiar`s kit (has the G-100 pc) at the NSRA Nats last month. That is some very useful info for someone like myself who is just starting out with a pc. What would also be very useful is a listing of the same products stating if they use abrasives, chemical cleaners, and/or fillers.

I`ve been doing a lot of "cut and paste" as I run across things on here that I may want to refer to later. Some list various products and note if they use chemical cleaners and/or fillers, but I wonder how accurate they are. That`s another reason it`d be nice to have an official Meguiar`s list of that nature.

Thanks Again,

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, that is GREAT info! :bounce

Only thing is they never mention any coarser pads than the 8006 which is a polishing pad like the white pad... then they go to a finishing pad which is the black pads generally.

Is it because meguiar`s doesn`t have a stronger pad? I`ve read about many people using #2 fine cut with a PC and cutting pad and it states "rotary only"

It is a good guide though, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by wing

Thanks, that is GREAT info! :bounce

Only thing is they never mention any coarser pads than the 8006 which is a polishing pad like the white pad... then they go to a finishing pad which is the black pads generally.

Is it because meguiar`s doesn`t have a stronger pad? I`ve read about many people using #2 fine cut with a PC and cutting pad and it states "rotary only"

It is a good guide though, thanks!
    If I remember right, the explaination was that Meguiar`s NEVER "recommends" to use the 7006 cutting pads because it doesn`t leave a fine finish the way the polishing pad does, and they don`t want non-Autopian users to haze up their paint and not know how to fix it.

That`s why you`ll read about people using cutting pads, "rotary only" products, and even WOOL pads for all sorts of jobs as they see fit, HERE at Autopia, but manufacturers usually won`t suggest such methods to you. They have to be more cautious about what they tell people.

Correct me if I`m off base here.....

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 4DSC

If I remember right, the explaination was that Meguiar`s NEVER "recommends" to use the 7006 cutting pads because it doesn`t leave a fine finish the way the polishing pad does, and they don`t want non-Autopian users to haze up their paint and not know how to fix it.

That`s why you`ll read about people using cutting pads, "rotary only" products, and even WOOL pads for all sorts of jobs as they see fit, HERE at Autopia, but manufacturers usually won`t suggest such methods to you. They have to be more cautious about what they tell people.

Correct me if I`m off base here.....

I think you summed it up pretty well.

Mike

Thread Information