Post Thanks / Like
    I just bought a indigo ink pearl ( a really dark blue) scion tC, well I guess the dealers idea of cleaning the car was making little hardly noticeable scratches while drying. :angry :angry

Being the anal car owner I am , I want those scratches gone. I’ve been looking at meguiars Scratch X as a solution, and want to know if that product might stain or have any adverse effect on the rubbery trim around the windows?

Also how does this sound to some of the experienced detailers here for a first real wash and detail session?

1. meguiars NXT generation wash (I’ve also been reading about 1z perls gloss shampoo, and might use that if I can find it locally)

2. Claying (using the meguiars quick clay detailing system)

3. Then use meguiars Scratch X

4. meguiars NXT generation tech wax

Id’ Appreciate any feed back on my choices here and there use on dark colors, and information on getting rid of those scratches. Also this car has less then 250 miles on it, if that matters any.

Post Thanks / Like
    hey, i just test drove one of those off IH-10 any how id go wth something like ssr1,2 then pp then topped off with ex or exp. i didnt see any spiderwebbing on those for you to have to use scratch x good luck

Jay

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to Autopia diamondback :welcome

Scratch-X isn`t a bad place to start for most jobs done by hand. Try that on a section first one or two times and see if you`re satisfied with the results. Don`t rely on NXT or other last step products to fix remaining damage if any remains. You might need a stronger product, but try a gentler one first by default. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t know if ScratchX or NXT stains, but you can use blue painter`s tape to mask off the edges of areas where you don`t want the product to hit.

Start the car off right, and look in to some dressing for the rubber trim too!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are going to be using mostly locally purchased products, i would go with Meg`s #9 followed by NXT, and you could even throw #7 between the two if you`ve got the time. If you swirls and scratches are relatively minor, they`ll be invisible after that process. However, you won`t be fixing anything major for good - just hiding them better. Hit up the more visible scraches with Scratch-X. The link below shows what I was able to do with Meg`s deep Crystel paint cleaner (an off-the-shelf product) on green. The scratches were relativly minor, but invisible when done. That`s another quick option.

Before: http://www.autopia.org/gallery/showp...papass=&sort=1

After: http://www.autopia.org/gallery/showp...papass=&sort=1

I don`t believe that NXT stains, though I think Scratch-X specifically warns about getting near trim, though I could be wrong. You could use the products I listed above to at least make the problem less visible until you get really hooked on detailing and order a PC and go crazy with experimenting with mail-order products.

-FordTaurus

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by FordTaurus

If you are going to be using mostly locally purchased products, i would go with Meg`s #9 followed by NXT, and you could even throw #7 between the two if you`ve got the time.

so it would be

Meguiar`s Swirl Remover 2.0

Meguiar`s Show Car Glaze

NXT

I also picked up yesterday at wallmart some scotch automitive masking tape, will this be suitable for masking the trim? also are meguiars 7 and 9 easy to apply be hand? and do i have to wait 12 hours between applying each of these products?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by diamondback

so it would be

Meguiar`s Swirl Remover 2.0

Meguiar`s Show Car Glaze

NXT

I also picked up yesterday at wallmart some scotch automitive masking tape, will this be suitable for masking the trim? also are meguiars 7 and 9 easy to apply be hand? and do i have to wait 12 hours between applying each of these products?

The tape should work fine (I assume it`s the blue or green stuff).

#9 will work OK by hand, it`s just a bit of work. But note that it won`t remove any but the very lightest marring. Scratches? Forget it, #9 is far too mild for that IMO. But it should leave a nice shiny surface. The #7 can be tricky and I wouldn`t use it on b/c paint. If you really want a glaze between the #9 and the NXT I`d go with something like #81 instead (made for b/c). I`d just skip that step, you`re gonna be doing enough work as it is. NO need to wait between these products.

Post Thanks / Like
    are you doing the work by pc or rotory?

if your doing it by hand you could also go

Meguiars cleaner wax

nxt/26

i may have some extra products you can use or buy pm. me and let me know

Thread Information