Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was ordering some Auto Magic non-acid wheel cleaner and noticed that they offer both acid and non-acid based formulas. I know that you want a non-acid based cleaner for most wheels but which will work better on chrome? I have high dollar chrome wheels on my Expedition and they are getting harder and harder to keep clean using mild wheel cleaners. According to the Auto Magic description, the acid based cleaner is specifically for chrome. What do you guys think?

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll admit that it`s sorta a knee-jerk reaction, but I`d skip the acidic stuff. I know people who`ve used acidic wheel cleaners and really trashed their chrome wheels. Different products, and they might not have known what they were doing, but I`d still err on the side of caution. I`d just clean them up with a chrome polish from time to time and keep something like KSG on them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve ruined one wheel permanently already with an acid based cleaner, not worth it in my book, especially on your own vehicle

I`d stick to multiple washings to get it mostly cleaned up, do the polish like Accumulator says and stay on top of cleaning the wheels as religiously as possible.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    i just use double the car soap, and half the water (compared to washing the car) in a bucket, and that works good on wheels... especially on chrome.. but if its really dirty then id recommend a2z wheel cleaner... non acidic, and safe even on tires... if there are water spots on the chrome then use a polish, such as mothers, or if u wanna use the best there is, then try the 1z chrome polish... they really make a huge difference... look in my gallery (page 2) @ the escalade wheels... i used mothers on them...

Post Thanks / Like
    The correct acidic wheel cleaner on the appropriate wheel material is perfectly safe. Acids do out perform alkaline based products in most cases.

Responsible manufactuers clearly spell out which product to use on a particular wheel substrate.

I personally have had more trouble with alkaline producst staining bare aluminum...than I have had with properly used acid products. For clear coated wheels IMHO...it`s acid wheel cleaners...hands down.
    If it stands still....wax it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, with wheels that are $600 each I am going to stick with the least aggressive stuff I can. I was just curious because the description of the product pinpointed chrome. My wheels are only about 5 or 6 months old and it`s mostly waterspots that I am having trouble with, and I think you guys are right, they just need a little polish and then a protectant. I`ve been lazy and haven`t done anything to them other than wipe them down with EO WAUD. Thanks for the input though guys, I will certainly steer clear of the acid stuff.

Mr. Chemist,

You very well may be correct, but I would think that in most cases it`s just not worth the chance.

Post Thanks / Like
    No one mentioned the health risks of using hydroflouric acid to clean wheels. Some manufacturers will no longer provide this cleaner due to health problems from use.

There are stories out there of amputations and death resulting from the irresponsible use of hf acid.

You won`t feel it burn your skin, but I believe it attacks the calcium in your bones and causes serious problems.

One place use to advertise "Acid Wash". The owner died of cancer.

It`s a great cleaner, no doubt. If you use it, make sure the product rep fully knows how to use it carefully. I was only told you will choke a little if you breath it in, that`s all. Then I read some articles in PCandD years ago about a girl having her fingers amputated from this stuff. That was it for me.

Take care,

Rob
    Robert and Susan Regan

Towel Pros Microfiber

Post Thanks / Like
    When used responsibly, even products with HF can be safe and effective. By following the copious information on lableing.

I doubt that anyone has ever suffered an amputation or death from cleaning their wheels in their driveway every once in a while.

Also, not all acidic wheel cleaners contain HF...there are less reactive acids in many wheel cleaners that are quite effective.

But hey I`m really with you....if you dont need to use it because you keep your stuff nice....then why bother. However, their are consumers out there who will need products like this to clean their wheels....after they`ve let them turn brown with brake dust from neglet....perhaps not autopians.....
    If it stands still....wax it.

Post Thanks / Like
    even that non-acid based wheel cleaner from AutoMagic is strong and can stain rims, even then your still gonna have to polish all that residue out. You might as well do that to start with.

Post Thanks / Like
    For neglected wheels, I use an acid based wheel cleaner cut 50/50 with water. I but it locally for about $10 a gallon. I spray it on a cool, rinsed wheel, count to ten and rinse, repeat if necessary. I have personally never had a problem using it on clear coated or chrome wheels. I would not use it on uncoated aluminum.

FWIW, I have had more problems with high PH tire cleaners running on to wheels and streaking them.

I was a bit leary at first, but now would not go on a detail without an acid based wheel cleaner.

I used it on these(and many more) wheels without problems

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow ! $600 per wheel ? Can we see ?

I`ve seen too many mishaps with acid cleaners and lost rims. My stock rims get nothing but regular washing and some zaino every now and again.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t have any pics of my vehicle yet, but this is a picture of the rim by itself (courtesy of www.bazowheels.com) My own pics will replace these as soon as the weather will allow me to actually clean it up and take some pictures without getting rained on!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s another one showing what they look like actually on a vehicle. (Picture is courtesy of www.bazowheels.com)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    i definately wouldnt use am non-acid wheel cleaner on those, just soap and a clean cloth , to give them a little bling polish them with pro polish or mothers chrome polish.
    Likes John U liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    So far all I`ve used is soap and water or P21S wheel cleaner diluted 50/50 with water. That works just fine for me for thick brake dust, but it doesn`t do anything for those darn water spots and/or tough stains. I guess I was hoping I could get a wheel cleaner that would remove those spots and stains without having to polish them. I just have a bad taste in my mouth from previously owning polished aluminum wheels that require at least an hour per week polishing to stay looking new I`m all about less work these days. :xyxthumbs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information