Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve gotten a bunch of good advice so far and read countless threads but I am still undecided about sealent (vs. carnauba only).

My Mustang with new black paint is not a daily driver, it is garage kept, and I have no problem detailing/waxing it every couple weeks if need be.

The car is used for weekend street and drag strip. It makes big HP so the car does get hot, especially the hood and front end. No rear exit exhaust (turn downs) so the fumes come out from underneath. The car is usually out at night and not out in the sun much less any rain.

I want the black to have a show quality deep wet look. I like the idea of the Souveran paste but only because people rave about it... If I don`t mind applying the wax all the time, am I still missing a lot of protection from a sealent?

I like the ideas of VM or PWC or PCL topped with Souveran but other combos like AIO + SG + Souveran or PWC + EX + Natty`s make me feel better... I just don`t know how much protection I need.
    Tanguy Perinne
    1997 ProCharged Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve got a dark shadow gray Mach 1 and have gotten the best results (almost the same driving situation as your`s) using Wolfgang sealant topped with Souveran.

I`ve gotten to be an enthusiast of sealant + souveran or other good carnuba.

See Ya
    2003 Mustang Mach 1

Post Thanks / Like
    So do you think you still get the "full effect" from the Souveran despite its being on top of a sealent? I know the Souveran makes a sealent look even better but I thought Souveran was at its best when just over a good polish.

Is there something about the Wolfgang sealent that makes Souveran look better than when its over other sealents?

BTW, your Mach would be the exact Mustang I`d get next if I was choosing all over again!
    Tanguy Perinne

Post Thanks / Like
    boy, that`s a "toughie" as to full effect. I think it`s a great combo for me as the sealant will last a long time and I can quickly re-apply Souveran or Crystal Mist after a wash.

you may be right about Souveran working best after a polish, but my car is garaged a lot and driven in nice weather only, so I`m not a real good example of durability.

The WG really adds a slickness to the finish and works best on dark colored cars. The Souveran adds depth to the finish IMO. So far, that seems to be the best combo for the Mach.
    2003 Mustang Mach 1

Post Thanks / Like
    I just did AIO + WG x 2 + Souveran earlier in the week and it`s the best my black tahoe has ever looked -by a long shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Would I have enough protection with just VM + Souveran? I don`t mind reapplying as often as necessary...
    Tanguy Perinne

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Tanguy

I can see where you`re coming from and it`s an interesting question.

Perhaps it might be an idea to PM someone like Mr. Chemist to ask for more technical (rather than this-works-for-me) input.

I guess we all have our own favourite combos for different applications — which naturally change over time due to more experimentation etc. but it would be good to get more technical/chemical knowledge. I`m very much at the low end of the learning curve here and (like you) am thirsty for all the info I can get (probably too thirsty for my own good at times ).

Just my tuppenceworth

Cal

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by T. Perinne

Would I have enough protection with just VM + Souveran? I don`t mind reapplying as often as necessary...

Given that :

- you are willing to keep your car clean (wash, wax often)

- your car is not a daily driver

- your car is usually out at night

Protection is not a deciding factor. Sooooo, all that`s left is appearance, right? Appearance is fairly subjective, so give both routes a try and see what you like better. The only thing is that VM fills in swirls better, so you may want to factor that in as well.

:xyxthumbs
    `04 Steel Gray Metallic Mazda 6s V6 5door, `97 Honda Accord SE

Post Thanks / Like
    if you want to use a sealant, i would go with wolfgang. my car sits outside and sees all of the elements and i have 3 coats of it on and it still beads great and after a wash all i need is some QD and the slickness is there too :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Very good point... protection is really not an issue.

But... would Klasse AIO + SG really look much worse with Souveran vs. VM + Souveran? If I can get Klasse Twins` protection from the heat my car puts out and still get the Souveran to look as good (or better?) as with VM then I may want to go the acrylic + Souveran route...
    Tanguy Perinne

Post Thanks / Like
    Love it !

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by T. Perinne

Very good point... protection is really not an issue.

But... would Klasse AIO + SG really look much worse with Souveran vs. VM + Souveran? If I can get Klasse Twins` protection from the heat my car puts out and still get the Souveran to look as good (or better?) as with VM then I may want to go the acrylic + Souveran route...

that would be up to you. what looks good to one autopian might not look so good to another autopian. to the non-autopians, the car just looks shiney!

and i don`t think the heat from your car will make the Souveran completely disappear after one night out. well, it is possible, but it is also something you should experiment with - put on a coat or two of wax on the hood, go out and race, then check it the next day.

if anything, given your situation, i would suggest just starting with the Souveran, and seeing if it`ll last a night of racing, and seeing if you like the looks and/or need more protection. :xyxthumbs
    Reid

2004 Azure Blue Ford Mustang Mach1

Chadwick's Auto Detailing membim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My vote is to use Vanilla Moose and Souveran. That`s what I use on my black car and it`s a daily driver. I reapply wax every month and have not seen any damage due to lack of protection.

Thread Information