Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, new here so please be gentle!

I have a 1986 Chrysler Fifth Avenue with a white padded vinyl landau roof. Now I had a problem with it getting real dirty and streaks down the sides. So I went to my local parts store and after reviewing all the bottles got some Autoglym vinyl trim stuff as their convertible top product isnt suitable for vinyl roofs.

Now this has done half the job. I wanted to clean, protect and beautify. I scrubbed up with car shampoo and applied the Autoglym product but it made the Landau top look shiny and tacky.

Its been on a few months and I only have washed it since. I have a slight stain down each side which I`d like to get off, and I`d like to use a product which will protect the top, prevent staining but not go shiny like the Autoglym.

I am in the UK so not all the specilist products you guys use are available here. We have Meguiars, Autoglym, Mer and all those regular items. If theres something thats really SO good its worth me importing specially I`ll think about it

Anything better than car shampoo for cleaning it? I think I used "1001 Stain Buster" on it before to get the stains off it. I have got some Meguiars NXT Car Wash on order. I`m hoping this might be better than the regular stuff I used before.

Any suggestions?

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ~ One man’s opinion / observations ~

Soak the stained fabric for approximately 20 minutes in a solution of no more than 4 oz. of non-chlorine bleach and 2 oz. natural soap (Woolite®) per gallon of water at approximately 100° F.

I would strongly suggest you apply a vinyl protective dressing once the vinyl is clean / dry

Do not use the bleach cleaning method on a regular basis

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm..maybe something like Amazing Roll All for routine cleaning ( once the big cleaning job is done) if simple car wash doesn`t do?
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I think we have some non chlorine bleach in the house anyway. Not sure what you mean by natural soap? Just unperfumed soap bar?

Anyone recommend a vinyl protecting product which will not go shiny?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by alistair

I am in the UK so not all the specilist products you guys use are available here. We have Meguiars, Autoglym, Mer and all those regular items. If theres something thats really SO good its worth me importing specially I`ll think about it

There are a few more products than those you mentioned http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...threadid=29410 :xyxthumbs

Welcome to Autopia:wavey

BTW, if you wipe the Autoglym before it dries, it does not gloss as much

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TOGWT

~ One man’s opinion / observations ~

Soak the stained fabric for approximately 20 minutes in a solution of no more than 4 oz. of non-chlorine bleach and 2 oz. natural soap (Woolite®) per gallon of water at approximately 100° F.

I would strongly suggest you apply a vinyl protective dressing once the vinyl is clean / dry

Do not use the bleach cleaning method on a regular basis

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

http://www.303products.com/techinfo/...r_fabrics1.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Lowejackson if you wipe the Autoglym before it dries, it does not gloss as much [/B]

Thanks for the tip and the URL. I`ll have another go with the Autoglym as I have it and have 80% of the bottle left LOL (if it ever stops raining)

Is that 303 stuff as good as people say? I have a white convertible which I`ll be putting a new roof on in the near future. The old one is heavily stained so I might just live with it until its replaced. Hoever I have to drive everywhere with the top down regardless of weather because its an embarrassment when its up!

Reason for replacement is that its old and has been patched not that its dirty!

Might be best to start a new topic for that one.

Thread Information