Post Thanks / Like
    I live in a hot, humid and pretty polluted place. I was wondering if frequent washing of the car will actually remove the wax. I heard somewhere that it actually good for the car to be frequently washed so dirt and grime do not build up on the paint.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    It depends. There`s lots of factors: soap, concentration of soap, type of wax, etc.

Use a CCD properly each day if you don`t want to wash your car frequently. Whenever I wash my car (every 2-3 weeks in the summer) I always apply S100. It`s inexpensive and easy to apply, so why not?
    `04 Steel Gray Metallic Mazda 6s V6 5door, `97 Honda Accord SE

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe it to be very important to remove excessive contaminants as soon as practical, so they do not embed themselves into your paint finish.

But, yes frequent washing will shorten the life of the wax/finish coating.

The frequent use of items such as the California Car Duster, Instant Detailers with Micro Fiber Towels would be of help.

But...it is far better to wash and wax frequently than to let your paint get damaged.
    If it stands still....wax it.

Post Thanks / Like
    What they said :xyxthumbs

Try to find a soap/LSP combo that works well together. e.g., Griot`s Car Wash does *not* appear to strip KSG to an appreciable extent. The more often I wash a Klassed vehicle with the G`s soap the longer the Klasse SG lasts- the benefits from the removal of contaminants greatly outweighs the stripping properties of the soap in that example.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh good then. Because currently I am washing my car every other day.

Post Thanks / Like
    After your car is freshly waxed, the less soap you use during the wash, the longer your wax should last. If you use only 20% of the recommended amount of car wash soap, just enough to make the water slippery, then your wax could possibly last 80% longer. Depending on conditions, this may not be true in all cases.

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    I still use Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo and it "reinvigorates" the wax. Along with QD it leaves the finish smoother and shinier.
    Pay Attention Klasse!

2000 Satin Silver Passat GLX

Wash This Way

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by YoSteve

I still use Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo and it "reinvigorates" the wax. Along with QD it leaves the finish smoother and shinier.

I agree. The guys at AutoGeek gave me 2 2oz. sample bottles of it when I went there, and I love it. The scent is awesome and it does not leave soap residue on the car, the slickness is still there after washing. Pricey though....

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by YoSteve

I still use Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo and it "reinvigorates" the wax...

I wonder if they`ve changed it since the last time I used the stuff I used it back in the `80s-`90s but it was so hard on my wax (yeah, I used mild concentrations) that I finally started trying other washes. I was really surprised at how the Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo was so hard on Pinnacle Souveran :nixweiss

I still have some of it around, and I still think it`s good stuff, but it sure didn`t "reinvigorate" *my* wax Heh heh, I always find these night/day differences interesting, but here I wonder if it`s just a change in the product.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Gang,

Been "lurking" and learning for several months (though I just registered) and haven`t needed to ask a dumb question until now......What is LSP. Not on the acronyms list.

Karen

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s another way to look at it. Yes frequent washings will diminish how long a wax will last and yes it`s doing exactly what it`s supposed to do. If it weren`t for the wax going away it would be your finish.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve washed my car for over 15 times now with the wax still standin. I suppose heat will probably strip the wax faster than washing.

Post Thanks / Like
    yes you should use the recommended amount of car soap. as example Meguiars NXT wash says to use one once for one gallon if u think using more will clean better it will not just will take the wax off faster. just use recommended amount of car soap and make sure to clay the car often so when you do wax it all contaminants will be off the surface and the wax will have a better surface for it to adhere to in return the wax will last longer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by NTTG

Hi Gang,

Been "lurking" and learning for several months (though I just registered) and haven`t needed to ask a dumb question until now......What is LSP. Not on the acronyms list.

Karen

Welcome to Autopia! LSP = Last Step Product/Process. The last thing you put on/do to the paint.

Thread Information