Post Thanks / Like
    I had a child`s scooter tip over onto my car, creating these scuff marks:

I`m not worried about the small nicks and scratches, but rather the two bigger scuff marks, especially this one:

...which is long and very irregular. I`ve already read a number of threads and online help about fixing chips and scratches, and I`ve decided on using Langka. I`ve got some touch paint and clear coat from my dealer. My questions are:

1. What do people think about mixing the paint and clear coat, as Langka suggests, instead of separate layers?

2. Does the irregular and uneven pattern of my scuff mark make my approach any different than if I had a well circumscribed rock chip?

3. What should my approach be to prepare the area prior to applying the paint - just a cleanser, or maybe partial sanding of the area, or something else?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just bumping this back up, since I still need advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m not an expert. However, I don`t like the idea of mixing the color and clear layers. Why? Just my gut tells it wouldn`t be a good thing. I also see you have a nice metallic paint. Just be aware that matching metallic is difficult. Not only do you have to match the color but the amount of flakes. Be sure to shake the color really, really well. Cap it and shake it during the application if you take an extended about of time applying it.

Are the scuffs really though the paint? It`s hard to tell from the photos. If not, you might try polishing the out first.

It might be worth taking it to a pro. I would want to repaint the entire panel but someone should have experince in your area with touch or airbrushing small areas.

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks alot worse than it prob is from all the paint transfer. Try Polishing it out you may be pleased with the results. Honestly if it looks alot better after buffing it out i would either leave it or let a pro touchup the area. Metallic touchup paints are a pain and you may be left with something more noticable if you do it yourself than what you started with.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I buff it out and it still looks bad, have I then made it more difficult to touch up? Or is buffing it a risk-free endeavor? Also, since I can feel the defect, can buffing really be the answer? Keep in mind that with Langka, if I don`t like the results, I can start over.

Serious no BS kinda guy forrest@mothers's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Prep with alcohol to remove any product on the areas, then apply the touch-up paint.

Immediately after applying the paint, use the blue "sanding" card that comes with the Langka like a razor, and scrape away the excess, leaving a smooth finish. Allow to dry for a day or so, then use the Langka product to remove the smear that wiping with the card caused. Don`t use it on the touch-up paint itself.

This method came from the fellow who created Langka, Larry Johnson.

As metallic touch-up paints cure, the metallic flakes migrate to the top of the finish. If you let it dry, then use the Langka, you`ll remove a disproportionate share of the flakes, making the touch-up noticeable. Doing it this way works pretty well - not perfect, but acceptable for all but the most picky.

The alternative would be a professional airbrush of the area, or a repaint of the panel.
    forrest

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by forrest

Prep with alcohol to remove any product on the areas, then apply the touch-up paint.

Immediately after applying the paint, use the blue "sanding" card that comes with the Langka like a razor, and scrape away the excess, leaving a smooth finish. Allow to dry for a day or so, then use the Langka product to remove the smear that wiping with the card caused. Don`t use it on the touch-up paint itself.

This method came from the fellow who created Langka, Larry Johnson.

As metallic touch-up paints cure, the metallic flakes migrate to the top of the finish. If you let it dry, then use the Langka, you`ll remove a disproportionate share of the flakes, making the touch-up noticeable. Doing it this way works pretty well - not perfect, but acceptable for all but the most picky.

The alternative would be a professional airbrush of the area, or a repaint of the panel.

That sounds like a great method, thanks. I did have a body shop look at it - they quoted me $400 to do a blend. :scared That`s when I decided to do it myself.

Thread Information