Post Thanks / Like
    Followed the steps provided by Sal but don`t believe the Z-5 hides the swirl lines on my black finish as effective as my old Zymol. Can I use Zymol to hide Swirl then continue with Z-2 and Z-6 for shine and seal? Trying to master Sal`s monster so any help/advice appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Zaino probably won`t bond over Zymol.

I also personally believe that Z5 doesn`t do jack for filling minor swirls. Never noticed a bit of a difference using it. What you want to do is get a polish and try and work the swirls out before applying Zaino.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by lburney

Followed the steps provided by Sal but don`t believe the Z-5 hides the swirl lines on my black finish as effective as my old Zymol. Can I use Zymol to hide Swirl then continue with Z-2 and Z-6 for shine and seal? Trying to master Sal`s monster so any help/advice appreciated.

Although I use Zaino on my Black `04 Acura TL and like what it does for the shine and the durability, IMHO Z-5 does extremely little (or nothing) for swirls. It neither hides them nor does it remove them. Zaino works best on well-prepared finishes. So, you`ll need to eliminate the swirls with a good polish before you apply Zaino. If you use something that just hides the swirls (I think that Zymol falls into that category), it may affect Z`s ability to properly bond to the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    On my black B5.5 Z5 filled only the finest of swirls and that was after 3 layers all applied in a straigt line ... prep is important.

Also in the Zaino site they recommend 3M SMR for swirl remover .. well I did a bit of an experiment .. as follows

I have a swirl free hood and was in the process of changing product on it so I tried the 3M by hand with

1) New Foam applicator

2) New MF applicator

3) White pad on a PC

1 & 2 circular and str8 lines. I also redidt it working it longer ..same thing.

Result 1 & 2 both left very fine visable in the sun marring. #3 was fine.

Also after seeing this the other edges of 1 & 2 were used to apply Menzerna IP beside the same area and the same pressure as the 3M and there was no marring which eliminated the applicator as the culpret.

Unless you have swirl free black you may not see this .. It would be interesting to have someone else try it. BUT get swirl/mar/scatch free first.
    PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

Post Thanks / Like
    Jesstzn,

Interesting results considering that Menzerna IP is made for a rotary and 3M SMR is made to be used by hand, DA, or rotary. Also IP is much more abrasive than 3M SMR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys for the insight and help. Had hoped to find an easy way out.

With respect to polish, have Meguiar`s #7 Glaze and #9 Swirl remover on hand. Any problems (bonding) with using these to prepare surface prior to using Zaino Z-2/Z-5? Is their a better product for hand application? Thanks again

Thread Information