Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    And what is actually happening when wax streaks? It looks like the wax is going on in different thickness`s, or rather coming off in different thickness`s. I have a black mazda with single stage paint and I tend to get streaking on it reguardless of what wax I use, #26, S100, Gold Class. I did a search and found a lot of people with problems but no explinations as to what is happening.

Post Thanks / Like
    funny enough I have the same problem on my single stage red paint on my Miata. Also regardless of what I use.....???? Strange:nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you tried removing the wax before it hazes up? What`s on it now and how is it cared for?

Post Thanks / Like
    As I understand it....it has to do with some of the wax drying at different speeds. Since using Zaino, I have not had that problem, but with other products, I simply re-buff the car with a cool, damp towel to get rid of the streaks.

Chadwick's Auto Detailing membim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`m not familiar with Miata`s single stage paints, but my black bimmer streaks when the paint is hot or the humidity is high. Try leaving your car in the garage or shade for a couple of hours before waxing.

Post Thanks / Like
    i just miss the hood with distilled water, and wipe... usually that works... also it could be if the hood was not clayed or polished correctly... which can cause a "clinging action" when there is wax on top...

Post Thanks / Like
    I always wax on a cool surface in the shade, but being here in Florida you can`t really get rid of the humidity.

Usually to get rid of the streaking/dark spots I will go over the entire car with Megs QD and a microfiber cloth to touch up and it usually takes care of things.

Cody

Post Thanks / Like
    Streaking is most apparent on a cloudy day, or in the shade immediately after polishing or waxing. It is generally the result of some of the film formers in the product not leveling out on the finish. Certain chemicals, such as amino functional silicones have a tendency to behave this way. They have an affinity to stick to each other more than the surface of the paint. Waxes on the other hand level out quite well.

Sometimes reworking the area with an ID and a MFT will level them out and sometimes just placing the vehicle in the sun will make the finish level out.

If these simple steps donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t cure the problem then it may be time to try another product that does not have this attribute.

joburnet....what year is the mazda? Could be a paint prob or paint prep issue. Also...remember, a thin layer of product is better than thick.
    If it stands still....wax it.

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s a 94 and it`s not factory paint so that could be the problem. I`m not really worried about this car in particular, it`s just a beater, but I don`t want to have it happen on customers cars so I wanted to learn more about it. I did a black yukon denali today with S100, which is what is on the mazda, and it turned out great. I always apply a very thin layer.

Mr. Chemist - thanks for your answer, it helps a lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah....10 year old paint could definitely be susceptible to accepting waxes differently in different areas of the paint....a deep polish job might help.
    If it stands still....wax it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I get the same on my single stage `97 model MX-5. I always thought it was because I layered it on too thick. I don`t think it`s due to paint originality. My bonnet was resprayed and it streaks, yet my boot lid is original (as far as I know) and that streaks too. :nixweiss

Maybe a PC is the answer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by derekz

I get the same on my single stage `97 model MX-5. I always thought it was because I layered it on too thick. I don`t think it`s due to paint originality. My bonnet was resprayed and it streaks, yet my boot lid is original (as far as I know) and that streaks too. :nixweiss

Hate to tell ya, but the PC isn`t the answer. I`ve got a PC and have been using NXT on my red MX-5 and I still get streaking no matter what. Usually its not so bad if I use a clean microfiber cloth to buff, but I still get streaks no matter what for some reason.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you tried Pinnacle Souveran? It is the ONLY wax that I`ve found that doesn`t streak, no matter how humid it is, and even on black & red cars. Plus it makes them look absolutely liquid.
    Alisa

Details by Alisa

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by derekz

You see what happens when you say you`re from England, Mr. Chemist? People start saying "bonnet" and "boot"!

Post Thanks / Like
    I get the streaks ever now and again with Zaino. It`s usually because some areas are a little thick. Humid days don`t help either. I get rid of them with some QD and a MF.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information