View Poll Results: DO YOU WAX YOUR CAR IN A CIRCULAR MOTION?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES- I WAX IN A CIRCULAR MOTION

8 29.63%
  • NO- I DO NOT WAX IN A CIRCULAR MOTION

19 70.37%

Post Thanks / Like
    Some detailers believe that waxing in an "UP and DOWN" fashion is best and most effective.

Some however believe that waxing in a tight circular pattern in best for even coverage.

What is the BEST way to WAX your car and WHY??

Post Thanks / Like
    I go in straight lines. Circles increase the chance of swirling the paint greatly, and wastes product by overlapping so much. JMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    As long as your applicator is clean and free of anything that might cause scratches, it doesn`t matter what direction you apply the products in.

If you do manage to pick something abrasive up though, straight line scratches won`t be as noticable as those in circles.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve heard for polishes/glazes/swirl removers go in a circle, for waxes/sealants go back and forth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by John Styrnol

I`ve heard for polishes/glazes/swirl removers go in a circle, for waxes/sealants go back and forth.

I`ve read to go up and down, and back and forth with swirl removers, to level the swirls from all different directions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by MattZ28

I`ve read to go up and down, and back and forth with swirl removers, to level the swirls from all different directions.

Correct. I can`t imagine removing swirls by hand with circular motions...

Now about waxing, often I`m forced to use circular motions when applying waxes that won`t spread.

Post Thanks / Like
    So who subscribes to Sal Zaino`s theory that you should go up and down on vertical surfaces and front ot back on horizontal surfaces to increase the shine?

Post Thanks / Like
    Now I`m confused, I heard this from a person/company that sells some nice products which many here have most likely bought from. So, how do you go up/down back/forth in one motion or do you?

Post Thanks / Like
    You`d go up and down on the vertical surfaces and back and forth on the horizontal surfaces.

Post Thanks / Like
    I go front to back (or the direction of airflow) on horizontal, up and down on vertical, but never circular. Just the way I`ve always done it

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote: So who subscribes to Sal Zaino`s theory that you should go up and down on vertical surfaces and front to back on horizontal surfaces to increase the shine?

~ One man’s opinion / observations ~

This application technique affects the paints optical properties by optimizing light refraction and the reflectivity of the bodylines and contours of the vehicle.

I have always avoided applying products in circular motions (reminds me of the Karate kid, wax on, wax off) but as Scottwax suggests it`s not that important.

~ Hope this helps ~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    What Scottwax said :xyxthumbs

I do almost everything by machine, and they sure don`t go in straight lines!

As for as the "different motions for horizontal/vertical surfaces", what`s the objective science behind that idea? Look at a LSPed panel under extreme magnification and you won`t see anything directional (if you applied it correctly).

Post Thanks / Like
    Circular es vs. Linear application is mainly to minimize the appearance of swirl marks.

For oily type products (glazes etc), circular application can be recommended as it probably works the product more into the pores of the clear then simply going in a linear fashion. No. 7 is probably one type of product that may benefit from circular application.

However, with that said and having a black vehicle, I personally only apply products front to back on horizontal panels and up and down on verticals.

Has it minimized the number of swirls, not really, but it does give me a bit of piece of mind.

Scott`s absolutely bang on in that if you have a clean surface and a clean applicator, it doesn`t matter.

The problem is, most vehicles are not in ideal condition so Joe Schmoe waxing he car on a weekend, could probably benefit a bit by not applying in the old "wax on wax off Karate Kid" method.

Paco
    Too many products ... too few cars!

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    As mentioned by Accumulator, the machines go `round, so when I`m polishing/correcting, I guess I`m going around, although I do move the machine in back and forth lines, not all erratic.

If I`m using a 1-step, I tend to go round, as I think it helps smooth the swirls/scratches better. If I`m using a "beauty" wax, I might go back and forth.

I really don`t see much difference though, as I remove product in a circular manner or short back and forths. Hoods and roofs are too long to remove some "sticky" products in straight lines, I think. So if you`re going `round removing, I don`t think it makes a big difference when applying.

Anyone want to school me?:nixweiss
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe a belt sander fitted with a MF cloth would be the best wax applicator. Seriously, I agree as long as you use clean stuff and do a good prep it doesn`t matter, IMHO.

Thread Information