Post Thanks / Like
    Finally, i am a proud owner of a White 1994 BMW 325is!

But...i already have quite a few questions about detailing methods for my car, and wheather or not i should purchase a car cover.

Sadly for my car, I am moving to northern calfornia in 1 week.

BAD:

* 6 miles from the beach

* daily driver

* outside full time

70% of the weather is either grey and hazy, with tempratures from 40Â-65Â, often with daily heavy rain off and on through out the year. Occasionally, it will actually be fairly sunny and hot 1-3 months out of the year, so occasional constant sun is still an issue.

Luckily, i have two things on my side: Autopia and good air quality.

The car`s paint condition is probably 7/10 and i`d like to not only improve on this level, but also insure that the rain and salt will not get the best of my car`s paint.

I have read Autopia`s car care guides quite often and plan on using the sugested products from the site and these forums, but i have a feeling my detailing regement might be a little different than other people`s considering all the condtions.

Any special precautions / reccomendations?

A car cover seems like a "must", and sadly it will be driven everyday (rained on almost everyday).

With the salty air all around, i am fearing for the worst!

I will probably purchase the Covercraft Weathershield car cover because of all the rain...

Any comments and/or suggetions would be greatly appreceiated!

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont think you will have a problem with rain, its really not your enemy as much as the sun is. To my knowlege, acid rain isnt an issue in Norcal, (Im in SoCal). As for salt, how close to the ocean are you ? Salt will play more havoc on vinyl/rubber trim than the rest of the vehicle, also convertible tops. As long as you kep a good layer of protectant on it, you shouldnt have to worry !
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    You may want to consider FMJ -

"

FMJ is our best coastal wax. The polymers in FMJ are highly resistant to abrasion (wind blown debris), salt air and salt water etching. If you live in a coastal community. FMJ would be our recommendation for keeping your vehicle looking its best.

"

from the CMA site

http://www.properautocare.com/menzernafmj.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Just checked the map... 6 Miles from the beach.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m 1/2 mile from the ocean down here. My car is parked in a car port so it`s basically exposed to the elements 24/7. I haven`t noticed any bad effects other then wax doesn`t seem to last as long this close to the ocean, that and the fact that my windshield is basically cacked w/ salt everymorning I haven`t noticed any negative effects on the weather stripping or anything of the such. My bicycles are pretty rusted though

Luckily we don`t have the rain you have.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t live near salt water. I live in QuÃbec and the they salt the roads in winter. My first thought when I hear salt is "rust". Here we get our vehicles rust proofed annually or triannually, depending on the type of rust treatment. You might want to think about getting your car an anti-rust treatment.
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.

--Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you`re going to be in the MB area right? Anyways, rain is an issue here in norcal during the winter season as it rains a lot then. No problems regarding salt or acid rain here and in fact, I would say you probably will find maintaining your vehicle nowhere out of the ordinary.

Thread Information