Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was just wondering if you guys use microfiber bonnets. If so, which ones do you like best? Do you apply sealants with them, or remove? Could it be an alternative to a finishing pad?

Thanks,

Matt

PS - this is regarding bonnets for 6-7" foam pads for the PC 7424.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used them and I didnt think that is was as good a fihishing pad. But they are better than terry cloth. I have a pc 7424 just to let you know that is what I used it on.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use one to remove wax

Post Thanks / Like
    I use them to remove product but not to apply it.

Regular" ("plush") MF bonnets for polishes and occasionally for "heavy" LSPs. Suede-style for LSPs- "The Max" from CMA for SG and occasionally UPP, the "Ultra Suede" from TOL for all LSPs.

I`ll use the Ultimate bonnet from Meg`s to remove anything- polish, wax, sealant, whatever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks...

Accumulator, I found the others, but I can`t find "The Max" from CMA. Do you have a link? All I could find was the Viper ones.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    How does everyone use MF bonnets??? Aren`t you worried about product buildup on the bonnet. The problem I see is that you can`t flip the bonnet like you would with a MF towel.

Just curious... I can`t wait to try them....:up
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    MattZ28- You`re right, I can`t find the Max bonnets on CMA`s website either. You might try calling Terry or Jan, I`m certain that`s where I got mine. The Ultra Suede ones from TOL are probably just as good though.

Pats300ZX- That`s a good point. I do *NOT* flip the bonnets over to "use the other side" although the vendors generally say it`s OK (I don`t want product getting on the pad I use; it might transfer to the next bonnet). I just go through a lot of bonnets Heh heh, it`s just another reason to put on products as thinly as possible. But yeah, it could be a problem and people shouldn`t expect to do a whole vehicle with one bonnet.

I recently did a Ford E-250 van with a one step product, with a non-Autopian (the van`s owner) applying the product with a PC. He put it on awfully thick by my standards (despite my admonitions), just the way most people do. We got it all off with three sets of Viper MF bonnets, using the Cyclo. I did a little follow-up work by hand with a YoSteve MF towel, but I dunno if it was really necessary. If we could do *that* job with three sets, then that oughta be plenty. But more is always better

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Pats300zx

How does everyone use MF bonnets??? Aren`t you worried about product buildup on the bonnet. The problem I see is that you can`t flip the bonnet like you would with a MF towel.

Just curious... I can`t wait to try them....:up

Personally, I may use the MF bonnets as a final finishing buffing/polishing step, not for removing the product, but afterwards. Use a flat, not variable contact, foam finishing pad for best results. Some MF bonnets will fit over a wool pad for more cushion or give over a variety of surfaces. There should be little, if any, product on the bonnet(s) after you are done. It all depends on what you are trying to achieve, or how much you are getting paid, or if the owner wants the maximum results. In the latter case (spare no expense or time), you may end up using anywhere from 6-12 bonnets depending on how large or how small you divide the sections up, the number and direction of passes, and the size or value of the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    How are the Sonus and Concours buffing bonnets from Autopia?

Post Thanks / Like
    Haven`t tried those yet, sorry. If you get them let us know how they work out for you.

FWIW, I get much better cushioning when I used them over foam as opposed to wool. The wool always seems to get compressed and lose its cushioning. By playing around with pad sizes and types, I`ve been able to use all my bonnets over foam.

As Sci-Fi said, in some cases you can go through a *lot* of bonnets. But not every job requires that (e.g., my van example).

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, I just got these in today. They say to use the orange pad under the MF Bonnets for best use.

They look like ExcelDetails gold MF towels in the type of MF for the bonnet.

Also just got all the Sonus pads. Velcro on the backs look thin so we shall see if they hold up.

Now I need to find time and a vehicle to try them on.

Regards,

Deanski
    DR SHINE
    Swanky Shine (tm)
    What`s in YOUR garage? 997 Carrera S.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Deanski

Hey, I just got these [Sonus bonnets] in today. They say to use the orange pad under the MF Bonnets for best use...

MMMMM, new MF bonnets....I look forward to your report.

The velcro on the Sonus pads might surprise you. The stuff on Griot`s pads doesn`t seem especially good, but they last forever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure, as soon as I get a chance to try these bonnets I`ll report back.

They look just like the ExcelDetail type MF gold towels. Same very low/stiff nap. I got several of the ExcelDetail MF towels, gold with no edges. Bonnets look like the same.

I sure hope these Sonus/Sonax pads hold up. Velco looks very thin.

I`ll use the bonnets over an orange "power-pad" from CMA or wherever I got the damn thing.

Regards,

Deanski
    DR SHINE
    Swanky Shine (tm)
    What`s in YOUR garage? 997 Carrera S.

Post Thanks / Like
    I never thouight I would remove wax with a buffer, but after Mike Phillips turned me on to it, I use one all the time now. Oh, I use a Meguair`s bonnet BTW.

I also notice Pakshak now carries MF bonnets.
    Be Nice

Post Thanks / Like
    Once I got my PC and used it to apply and then to buff with a bonnet I was sold! Not only is it easier on the old body I`m convinced the shine is much better. I just follow up by hand after the PC.

I do use a lot of bonnets though, about three (both sides) will do my car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information