Post Thanks / Like
    Do you guys know how carpet extractors work? I`m so confused. I`ve tried to research it and from what I`m guessing is that you mix an extractor soap or shampoo with water in a tank and there is a sprayer at the end of the hose that sprays the shampoo on the carpet and then you go over it with whatever tool you want to vacuum it with. Is this right? Thanks in advance for all your help.

Post Thanks / Like
    bump...i was wondering the same. for some reason carpet cleaning confuses me.
    01 Supercharged Nissan Frontier

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Bissel Pro Heat Turbo Brush extractor. Not as nice as ones from Top of the Line or CMA, but it does the trick.

Here`s the method that I use, which has also been recommended by some members of the forum.

1. Spray a small/medium section of carpet/upholstery surface with a light coat of your favorite interior cleaner. I like 303 Multi-Purpose Cleaner because I can dilute it to the appropriate strength and it rinses residue free.

2. Wet a stiff bristle upholstery/carpet brush.

3. Scrub the portion of upholstery/carpet, rinsing brush in bucket of luke warm water as necessary.

4. Fill the extractor with clean water only and turn on the heat switch.

5. Use the extractor to inject heated water into upholstery surface.

6. Use the vaccum in the extractor to remove the injected water and the interior cleaner.

7. Continue to extract the cleaner from the surface until no residue remains.

In this manner you are using a small amount of soap which ensures that you are not leaving behind unecessary soap/cleaner residues.

I then follow up with 303 Fabric Guard after letting the surface dry overnight to provide water/stain protection.

Others on the forum may have suggestions as well.

Shane
    "Wax on Wax off"

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay...now let me answer your questions.

1. Most extractors provide an input water tank and a receiving water tank. The input tank you can fill with clean water(my previous post) or a mix of cleaner and water. The extractor pulls from the input tank to inject the water or water/cleaner into the surface. When you use the vaccum/extract function to pull the water and dirt out, that nasty mix goes to the receiving tank.

You will be amazed at the dirty brown/grey water that you will find in the receiving tank, even from a surface that you believe to be "clean".

A Bissel Turbo Brush cost me about 89.00 at Target. It heats water, not as hot as a professional extractor, but works nicely on my interior which I maintain weekly to every other week.

I also use a shop vac to go over the extracted and rinsed surfaces to aid in drying time. But you really don`t have to perform that step. The extractor function should pull all of the old soap, water, and dirt from the surface.

Hope this helps

Shane
    "Wax on Wax off"

Post Thanks / Like
    i have bissell`s "little green" and it works awesome. as said above, a surface that "looks" clean may not be. i have pulled lots of dirty water out of my carpets that i thought were clean

Post Thanks / Like
    The purpose of the carpet extractor is to actually remove the dirt, oil, and soap residue from the carpet fibers. Just scrubbing it and wiping up the foam just pushes the dirt down into the carpet and padding.

I spray the carpet cleaner on the carpet and then friction scub. I then go over the carpet w/ the extractor and run clean water through it. I spray only when I pull back too unless I`m on the floor mats, which can stand to get a little bit more wet since they don`t have padding under it. But, on seats and carpets, only spray when pulling back so as to not oversoak the carpets. I also go over the area three times not spraying water to suck as much water up as possible. Helps the carpets dry really fast.
    2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Intel486

The purpose of the carpet extractor is to actually remove the dirt, oil, and soap residue from the carpet fibers. Just scrubbing it and wiping up the foam just pushes the dirt down into the carpet and padding.

I spray the carpet cleaner on the carpet and then friction scub. I then go over the carpet w/ the extractor and run clean water through it. I spray only when I pull back too unless I`m on the floor mats, which can stand to get a little bit more wet since they don`t have padding under it. But, on seats and carpets, only spray when pulling back so as to not oversoak the carpets. I also go over the area three times not spraying water to suck as much water up as possible. Helps the carpets dry really fast.

that is what i do. i use a bucket with the cleaner solution in it and a brush. my little green`s brush is worthless so i just use itto "extract" all the crap :xyxthumbs

Thread Information