Thread: weekly waxing

Post Thanks / Like
    what are your opinions on weekly waxing. If it makes any difference i live in SE North Carolina it is very hot and very humid, i`m also about 10 minutes from the beach (salt air) my truck at my new white F-250 is parked in a carport my F-150 outside. is waxing once a week two much. Normally i use meg. gold class. any comments would be great.

Dan
    `04 F-250 CC Lariat White w/silver 6.0 PSD 5 spd auto, 4X2, 3.73LSD, Reverse Sensor, Sliding Window, Gray Leather Captains Chairs, Leonard Cap, DeeZee Bedmat/ `96 F-150 EB SC 5spd Man. Blue/Tan

[ccolor:"blue"]Truck Pic`s

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, I think it is a waste of product. Your wax diminishes every week. Perhaps you can wax monthly. Better yet read up on sealants such as Klasse SG or Einszett Glanz Wax, Megs NXT and many others.

Post Thanks / Like
    triplethreat- Unless you`re really happy with the GC, you might look into other LSPs. Besides the ones mentioned, there are "regular" waxes that last a long time too, like Meg`s #16 and Collinite. If you wax with those, you sure won`t need to redo it every week (probably not every month, either).

You can`t really "overdo" the GC, as it has cleaners. Each time you apply it, it sorta strips off the previous application, at least to some extent. Other than the waste of time/effort/product issue, there`s nothing wrong with waxing with GC as often as you like.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Andriver, look into sealants to protect you from the sun and salt.

Sealants are usually polymers (that said, Klasse SG is an acrylic) which are much tougher than carnuba wax and most also have UV protection. If you prefer the look of carnuba you can always top the sealant with a PURE carnuba wax (I say "pure" to differentiate from "cleaner wax")

Post Thanks / Like
    Having once used GC I think once a week is about right for any protection from that product.

If you`re looking for ultimate protection than Klasse or Zaino would be the ticket. If you wax once a week simply because you like to you can layer these products to your heart`s delight without any adverse effects. You didn`t make it clear whether you`re doing it weekly because you want to or you feel you have to because of the conditions.
    Is that a new claybar in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually i do enjoy waxing however i mainly do it weekly because i use my pickups as trucks especially my older one. so it gets very dirty during the week and i figured all that dirt and grime would wear the wax away.

Dan
    `04 F-250 CC Lariat White w/silver 6.0 PSD 5 spd auto, 4X2, 3.73LSD, Reverse Sensor, Sliding Window, Gray Leather Captains Chairs, Leonard Cap, DeeZee Bedmat/ `96 F-150 EB SC 5spd Man. Blue/Tan

[ccolor:"blue"]Truck Pic`s

Post Thanks / Like
    If you don`t want to buy Klasse or Zaino (would save you a TON of time, elbow grease, and money- really!), I`d suggest at least trying a different wax, like Meguiars #16, or #26 liquid. They contain no cleaners, so you can layer them to a degree. As well, they apply and buff off more easily then GC.

I have used GC, and now the mostly full bottle just sits on my shelf, because every other wax I own is either easier ti use, lasts longer, looks better, or some combination thereof.

Wax to yor hearts` content- but know many waxes will not layer, so as David points out, "there is a point of diminishing returns".

I wax frequently- probably more then I need to, but I find it relaxing.

Each to his own, right?

Cheers,

Audio:xyxthumbs
    `01 Sentra SE
    Calgary Sports Car Club #406 DSS

Post Thanks / Like
    The alternative is a good sealant base and then use a product such as Eagle One Wax as U Dry or the NXT spray wax weekly. There are many options for an easy on/easy off waxing that can be done almost as quickly as using a QD
    "If we weren`t all crazy..We`d all go insane" Jimmy Buffett

Post Thanks / Like
    I wax weekly and I have no problem with it.I also use wax with no cleaners just CARNUBA

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    As some other "food for thought" you may look into some "marine" waxes. I don`t have any personal experience with them, but some say they are formulated specifically for salt water and such. They may last longer than regular wax with the salt spray being a factor.

As previously alluded to, use of qd`s or spray waxes would also boost protection.

Just some thoughts.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Post Thanks / Like
    My experience has been the marine waxes are more aggressive and designed to protect more than make the surface look good. Carnauba with out cleaners is a good choice for a waxoholic like myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can put as much wax on it as you feel is necessary, just as long as the paint surface is clean. You must make sure that you are completely buffing the wax residue off before adding more layers.

Hold on....there is such a thing as too much wax. You should not just pile wax on indefinitely (lets say for years) without stripping your paint surface of the layers of old wax and starting clean. You will find in time that if you do not strip off old wax, and by piling on wax coatings without cleaning the paint, that the paint will start to look cloudy and have signs of dirt showing through the wax shine. That is the result of oxidation from the paint and wax as it accumulates dirt and water from the elements.

You should first determine how many wax layers you want on your car, wax up to that point, and later start over by stripping the wax (with a good buff clean polish) and re-layering.

I like to accumulate my coatings one year (or a warm season) at a time. I will quit waxing usually in the fall, letting the good build up of wax stay on the surface through the winter. Don`t worry about the wax washing off in the rain,....all of that good stuff will still remain, even when the beading and the gloss fades. A good rule of thumb in terms of wax coatings is to build up a minimum of 3 coats a year (bare minimum), and or accumulating between 2 to 8 coats of wax per year. I`ve added beyond 15 coats of wax in a year, and not having to remove it until the next year, and with no signs of oxidation or dirt (the buffing-"stretching of wax" process is extremely important when accumulating excess coatings of wax). You will find that a good build up will serve you as excellent protection from the elements, and your car`s paint will maintain its resolution throughout the year, as long as you are good with keeping the car clean.

Good luck.

Thread Information