Post Thanks / Like
    I `ve read a fair amount about the 3M paint protection fim. Almost all of it has been very positive. However, almost all of the comments I`ve read have been purely about how well it protects aginst chipping, bugs, etc...

I was wondering if the wealth of expertise here had any comments on the product regarding how it affects normal car care procedures and/or the choice of finishing products that can be used. 3M`s web site claims you don`t have to pay any special attention to the fim once it`s had time to set up. I thought perhaps one or more of the experts here might be able to confirm or deny this.

I have a new Acura TSX (SSM color) and after reading how chip-prone the paint is, I`ve been seriously debating getting a "front end kit" of the 3M film installed.

TIA for any comments on this and thanks much for this wonderful site!

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the 3M stuff that you get as a roll, and then I make up the bits I want for behind the wheels, etc.

I saw one of these front end kits on a Viper last year at a Viper event. While it`s not obvious, you can see an edge where the film ends, and at least to my eyes, it looked a bit "duller" than the rest of the car. While this person may not have been as particular about his car`s finish as we are...I also noticed lots of fine scratches, kind of like swirls...in the plastic.

I would be equally concerned about yellowing over time.

When I put my pieces on, I know it helps...but the plastic gets little nicks in it that trap wax, etc. At least when I make up my bits....I place them over a waxed area so I know I can remove them if they get ugly and replace them with new pieces.

I don`t use a bra or clear masks on the front end. I`d rather avoid tailgating on the highway and enjoy the look of my car. A chip can be easily touched-up with paint and Langka. (Or even a tickle of wetsanding)

Thread Information