Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been reading a lot on here and I want to see if the process I have in mind is right for my car. I have a 94 Nissan Maxima with Satin White Pearlglow paint ( similar color to Audi`s and some Cadillac`s. pics at http://www.cardomain.com/id/cincy94max ). The car has 173,000 miles and has been in my family since new. The car is garage kept and has never seen much more than the drive through carwash with the spray on wax. The car has some dings and minor dents, so I`m not looking for perfection, just want the car to look as good as it can. I recently spent about $100 getting new washing and drying supplies, all of which were recommended by people on here. I didn`t buy any wax or polish because I wanted to be familiar with my new washing and drying products first. Then I borrowed some Mothers California Gold Cleaner Wax from my brother-in-law and enjoyed the results and learned a lot. Now I`m ready to take the next step. Here are my plans:

1. Wash with Dawn to strip old wax and such (I`ve heard this step is over rated, but considering my next step, I want to be safe)

2. Clay with Clay Magic kit

3. Wash with Gold Class shampoo

4. 1Z PP applied by hand using terry cloth applicator

5. 1Z MP applied by hand using second terry cloth applicator

6. Wash with Gold Class shampoo to remove waxes contained in 1Z polishes so next steps will bond (not sure this step is necessary since VM is a cleaner of sorts)

7. VM applied by hand with ?????? applicator

8. EX-P x2 applied by hand with ?????? applicator

9. WAUD during subsequent washes

10. #34 when needed

I chose the 1Z polishes because they are supposed to be easy to apply by hand with good results. I chose the PP to start with because the car has never been polished and although it is a light color and scratches are hard to see, I know they must be there after 10 years of non-Autopian washing and drying.

The VM + EX-P combo is supposed to be killer on light colors and thus it beats out my original idea of AIO + SG. I don`t know what kind of applicators to use for these products though. SMP has a kit with a MF applicator pad, but I`m not sure that is what I need.

Also, I have 3 pro detailing MF towels on the way from David (once they come in). Should I use those for buffing or should I use something else like the concours buffing towel? Will 3 be enough or should I go for the kit from SMP that has VM, EX-P, 3 pro detail towels, and a pro MF applicator pad?

Are there any steps that aren`t necessary or did I skip anything? Thanks for reading my very first post on autopia.
    Mom: "You need a support group."

Me: "That`s what Autopia is."

Mom: "No, those people are what we call `enablers`."

Post Thanks / Like
    I just bought a bunch of stuff from Scott (SMP). If doing VM by hand use the Pro-Wax Applicators, EX-P by hand use the Foam Applicators. Get the kit (VM, EX-P, 3 pro detail towels, pro-wax applicator), but also get 2-3 of the Mega Plush MF towels, and I highly recommend the Glass Cleaning Towel get at least 2. The CBTs from David are very nice as well, maybe get 2 of those as well. You can never have enough MFs. Maybe after PP go to VM skip the MP. You could use the Pro-Wax Applicators for the PP and/or MP as well. This will give you a little bit more cutting power by hand. Maybe someone else with more knowledge can chime in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, so I`m getting mixed signals. I`ve done some more searching and everything from MF to terry has been recommended as the best applicator for polishes. Is there any type of applicator I should stay away from?

Also, since the car is 10 years old and never been polished, should I start off with UPP, then PP, then MP? Thanks.
    Mom: "You need a support group."

Me: "That`s what Autopia is."

Mom: "No, those people are what we call `enablers`."

Post Thanks / Like
    The Pro-Wax Applicators are made of MF. Terry is also good, but I would use the Pro-Wax Apps. Always start with the least abrasive in this case PP if that does not work try UPP. UPP might be a little to hard to get to work by hand, but give it a try. If that works go to MP and/or VM. Then seal and/or wax.

Thread Information