Post Thanks / Like
    Forgive my ignorance, but Im not sure if my 2000 Pontiac black GTP has a clear coat on it? Im just getting into the whole detailing process.

I was going to buy a touch up pen from Paintscratch.com, but dont know if i need to get the clear coat or not...thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Normally, stamped on the door jams is the paint code which should reflect what`s on it.

Another way, as you polish the finish, does the color transfer to your pad? Then chances are it is NOT clearcoated.

Call your local dealer/bodyshop etc with the code as well.

Regards,

Deanski
    DR SHINE
    Swanky Shine (tm)
    What`s in YOUR garage? 997 Carrera S.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ~One man’s opinion / observations ~

The question was also asked if clear touch-up should be used as a final coat to repair chips on clear coat paint. There are two viewpoints to this question. The purist will say yes, the paint has a clear coat and thus, the repair should also. The process is the same as previously described, except the clear coat is substituted for the last 2-3 coats or paint. The practical world says no. The touch-up paint is different from the original paint and is formulated only as a touch-up paint. Once it is applied it should, according to the manufacturer, match well enough to be all but invisible. I have found this to be the case with the numerous repairs on the many cars/colours, I have completed. If you are using the original paint as a touch-up (I have not done this with a clear coated car), then my understanding is that you should use the clear as a topcoat. The colour coat of some paints will many times be relatively dull in appearance. These paints rely on the clear coat to provide the "shine." Try one chip in an area that is not that visible. If the process works, then continue with the rest. If not try the clear coat top layer.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon

justadumbarchitect * so I question everything *
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Thread Information