Thread: SMR quandry...

Post Thanks / Like
    I just bought a PC and can`t wait to get started. I own a 1995 Guards Red Porsche 911 that has some minor oxidation (it`s starting to look like Guards Pink!) and swirl marks.

My plan of attack is:

1. 3m SMR for Dark cars

2. Menzerna FP II

3. At least 1 coat of Blitz wax.

I searched the archives and the 3m website and couldn`t get a definitive answer...is the smr for dark cars appropriate here? Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    :welcome to Autopia

Frankly, I don`t think an SMR will do the trick for you. It`s just too mild a product to remove oxidation, especially using a PC.

Here`s a post by GeekySteve, Autopia member, Roadfly admin, and superstar detailer, of what he used on a similar car: http://forums.roadfly.org/forums/det...5338399-1.html

Meguiar`s DACP, 1ZPP, 3M Fine Cut... something like that would be where I`d start on a car like yours using a PC. Next step could be the SMR or FP, depending on results.

Hope this helps. Good luck on the detail.
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks bretfraz...

As someone with no experience with a PC, I would like to start conservatively and work my way (down) to stronger polishes.

Is the SMR for dark cars appropriate for a red car? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. Actually either will be fine. They`re the same product except for a dye. Happy Detailing!! :up
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    If the red is a single stage you might look at this .. I did a 88 single stage red Volvo with some oxidization and minor swirls.

You might want to look at this thread.

Volve
    PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

Thread Information