Post Thanks / Like
    JUST picked up the new 330ci and ...

now before I`ve had a chance to hit it with AIO and Klasse polish, I have %$#`ing bug guts on the black hood!

(Damn!)

Anywho, what are your recommendations on getting these corpses and their toxic and hard to remove final residue off what only 5 days ago was a pristine black hood from "the fatherland"?

I know about the soaked kleenex method to get as much debris off without scratching, but can you recommend anything further?

I`d like to get every and all traces of their impact and quick demise off the hood.

Let me know!

Thanks

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Gary,

The way I handle bug guts is to gently rinse the area with water, then spray some Meguiar`s Bug & Tar Remover on the area. Let it sit for a minute, then use a `bug sponge` and soapy water to clean the area. Wal-Mart actually sells a great sponge for $1 that works perfectly.

The bad news about bugs is that they tend to etch paint quickly if they aren`t removed. I tend to look at my car at the end of each day, then make the necessary removals!

hth,

DavidM

Post Thanks / Like
    I take them off with clay. As long as I`m gentle about it, this doesn`t disturb my LSP. I dunno about using "bug sponges" on black, BTW; I won`t even use them on silver.

Having plenty of layers of KSG on the paint will help prevent etching from the bug guts, but yeah, you should get them off ASAP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gary, nice car. I usually spray the area with Poorboys Spray and Wipe. Let it soak for a couple of minutes and wipe off. Usually works well. If remnants are still there I will do the same as DavidM.

Post Thanks / Like
    After each drive I check for bugs and get them while they are fresh with FD and a MF. If it`s after a road trip then a definite wash is in order ASAP. I`ve used 1Z Anti-Insekt with good results on bugs and tar, but I usually don`t let these contaminants dwell for long if I can help it. No bug sponges for me either, just a sheepskin.
    `96 Jeep Cherokee Country - White - Gray Leather Interior

`02 Volkswagen Passat GLX - Reflex Silver - Black Leather Interior - 5 spd Manual

Post Thanks / Like
    1. Rinse front end

2. Spray on Hi Temp Bug Juice Remover -or- EFHI

3. Let set up for approx 30 secs

4. Use soapy wash mitt to agitate and wash

5. Rinse thoroughly

6. Rewash to remove lefover residue

7. Rewax as needed
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Those some pretty pesky bugs you guys must have. I personally haven`t had any serious issues with bugs etching paint.

Maybe it`s the Zaino protection but I usually just hit it with some QD and they just slide right off. Hit with some more QD and I`m good to go.

On my other vehicle that I use carnuba`s on (S100/#26), I just hit with some QD and if need be some Turtle Wax bug and tar remover. QD and then wax the panel.

Unless they sit baking on the finish for more than a couple of days, you should be okay if you have a good layer of a FSP.

Bird bombs on the other hand in my experience have to be dealt with within 24hrs or else etching can start setting in.

Paco
    Too many products ... too few cars!

Post Thanks / Like
    All great ideas!

How I`m proceeding:

1- wet and soak with kleenex for 5-10 mins, a little QD too.

2- remove Kleenex (gently) and wash with car wash soap and sheepskin mit

3- claybar if necessary, gently here again

4 wash

5- apply the K2 I was supposed to do in the first &^%$ ! place!

Thanks to all

if too stubborn, I`ll get some bug and tar remover.
    Its cold up here in Cana-duh!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had very good results with Porsche Tequipment Insect Remover. You can get it at CMA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Malco Bugger Off is one product I will be getting shortly and it`s a spray on, leave and rinse off product with none or minimal handwork required.

Isn`t it amazing how bugs prefer white colored cars to darker ones. My first car was white and sure did get hammered with bugs

Recently I got a new front bumper fitted to my Falcon due to kangaroo damage to the original one and it was painted with Du Pont 2K and an american paint sealant was applied by the panel shop. Since then I have added Omikron Bodyseal, three coats of Klasse SG and P21 S Carnuba paste wax and no matter what gets on the bumper, they come right off with just a MF and a spritz of any quick detailer. They slide off just about.
    Car care/detailing sadly isn`t high on the agenda for 98% of australians.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by paco

Those some pretty pesky bugs you guys must have. I personally haven`t had any serious issues with bugs etching paint.

Maybe it`s the Zaino protection but I usually just hit it with some QD and they just slide right off. Hit with some more QD and I`m good to go. ...........

Unless they sit baking on the finish for more than a couple of days, you should be okay if you have a good layer of a FSP.

Bird bombs on the other hand in my experience have to be dealt with within 24hrs or else etching can start setting in.

Paco
    I just usually give it a good wash or use a QD in some instances and have never had a problem removing them. I just may be very lucky.

Thread Information