Post Thanks / Like
    I`m currently using POR-15 on my rusted car - I`ve done all the prep and just started applying the Por-15. I`m fixing rust spots (from small to a few inches accross) so I`m just using a small brush to apply.

Anyways, I only have this week to finish it before other commitments will have to take priority. I`ve found that POR-15 dries quickly in the secondary container and after about an hour it becomes more difficult to apply. I need to thin it but I don`t have time to order thinner from POR-15. Does anyone know for sure about a thinner I could buy off the shelf that will thin it without affecting its effectiveness?

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe try emailing them and pleading your case? Not only is POR-15 stuff hard to find or get, it`s expensive!

If you find out, please share, as I`d like to know too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I`ve applied the product in some areas. From what I`m seeing this is pretty crazy stuff - it`s the hardest paint/coating I`ve ever experienced. The key with this is prep because anything locked under it will be there for good I think.

Anyways, I called them and the one who answered wouldn`t help. She said "you can ONLY use our thinner" despite what I said about the timing. The FAQ sheet they send with the product does say that some thinners would work and some wouldn`t, so it`s best to get theirs. But bottom line is that there thinner is nothing special so with the proper info it would be easy to find a substitute.

Post Thanks / Like
    Acetone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by foxtrapper

Acetone.
    May I ask how you know this? It seems unusual.... Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    For some reason, I want to think that Xylene is what they reccomend.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 4DSC

May I ask how you know this? It seems unusual.... Thanks.

Experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by foxtrapper

Experience.
    Well okay then.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the responses. I muddled through without thinner this time but I`ll be sure to order some from them and figure out exactly what it is for next time.

Incidently I`m really liking POR-15. I`ve been battling rust on old cars for almost 10 years now and this seems like it will hold out the best of any solution I`ve tried. In fact I`d be suprised if rust comes back in the places where the process was done without issue (contamination, rust from behind, etc.) I won`t know for sure till about 2 years from now but I have high hopes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a decent hint. Ask for the MSDS from POR-15. That should give you a clue whether it is Acetone, naphtha, alcohol or what other kind of base it is. I suspect it is probably similar to regular paint thinner.

Let me know how that works for you. I am planning on using some POR-15 on my 68 Olds that I am restoring, mainly on the underbody.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    `Although this thread is OLD, its one of the first hits on Google when searching for POR-15 thinners.\r\n\r\nThis is supposed to be a definative post and time locked thread so searchers will find the answer to:\r\n\r\nPOR-15 Paint thinner - what to use?\r\n\r\nThe thinner/solvent sold by the POR company is expensive and it adds to the shipping cost. I recommend you use \"Ethylbenzene\", as that is the majority of what is in POR solvent. They also add xylene, if you can buy that as well you can add it. Say 20L ethylbenzene add 1L xylene.\r\n\r\nALTERNATIVELY:\r\nEthylbenzene and xylene are harder to get than Methylbenzene, commonly called \"TOLUENE\". Toluene makes up about 50% of acrylic thinners. With the remaining percent being acetone and xylene\`s. \r\n\r\nI recommend you DO NOT use acetone as posted above. The reason you can not use normal acrylic thinners with POR-15 is because it has a water content to high (about 0.05%), the reason for this is that the ~%50 acetone in most thinners absorbs water from the atmosphere. For this same reason 100% acetone can not be used as it will absorb water while being used. Ethylbenzene has a maximum 0.015% water solubility making it physically impossible to dissolve enough water from the atmosphere into the thinners to make it detrimental to the POR. Methylbenzene has a max. 0.05% water solubility, so if it is used try keep the total time exposed to air down untill it is mixed with the POR. Oh, and btw acetone is completely miscible with water, meaning both water and acetone can be mixed totally.`

Thread Information