Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t have the money for a Porter Cable polisher. Well I do have the money, but I don`t I want to spend $130 on it just yet. I`m not a hardcore detailer. heh.

Anyways, I have my random orbit sander/polisher, but it`s the palm type that has a fixed speed of 12,000 opm. Since I have it with me, can I use that instead of the PC? The only problem I see with it is that its about twice the speed of the PC, I believe. It will probably generate some heat. My question is, if I move my polisher around quick enough (avoid burning the clear coat), will I be able to get the same result as the porter cable?

Thanks.

Resident of Detail City travisdecpn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    In my opinion I would not use that sander on my vehicle. If you want a machine that can reduce the amount of time spent on polishing and waxing, you may look into an entry level orbital buffer. The PC is a great investment if you are willing to part with the change.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by travisdecpn

In my opinion I would not use that sander on my vehicle. If you want a machine that can reduce the amount of time spent on polishing and waxing, you may look into an entry level orbital buffer. The PC is a great investment if you are willing to part with the change.

what kind do you recommend?

Post Thanks / Like
    A small number of Autopians have converted or adapted other sanders (a PC really is a sander too) to polishing duty, but usually that is because they cannot get a PC. Even then, it`s better to get something a bit more controllable than one of the single speed (ie, super-fast) ones.

Generally it`s recommended to either just do things by hand or save up and get a PC later on if you think you still want it.

Most inexpensive orbital buffers from retail stores tend to be much lighter duty than the PC and suffer several drawbacks (enough that I discounted them as a possible option for myself).

You might find this recent thread interesting: http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...threadid=40061

Post Thanks / Like
    You might not be able to afford the PC but have you got probably not much less,to waste?

Just save up and get the PC.You will never regret it!THey are better than you can imagine.

Post Thanks / Like
    PC 7336 at Lowes for 109.00
    Ric
    3Dog Garage
    HOGtailing is my business

Post Thanks / Like
    Its not that i can`t afford it, but i can`t justify in spending that much on something that i do occasionally. I`m sure the PC is worth the price, but in my situation, its not what I need. Thanks guys. Maybe i`ll change my mind later on, but for now, i`ll try my buffer

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep in mind that the PC is a dangerous machine. Once you use it you will want to buff every car you see!!! LOL

Thread Information