Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    How often do I treat my leather?? Some said every month, some said once every six months but what`s the exact answer?? Condition every month and clean and condition every two months??
    2004 black Acura MDX

My Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t think there is an exact answer. What works for you may not for others.

There`s no real harm in treating your leather as often as you like. If you overdo leather conditioner it will just be wiped onto your clothes when you and your passengers sit down. Just use mild safe products and you`ll be fine.
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Over conditioning leather IS damaging from what i understand.

Post Thanks / Like
    So maybe once every 3-4 month?? I only know that you treat your dash/vinyl every month for best protection.
    2004 black Acura MDX

My Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by C-MDX

How often do I treat my leather?? Some said every month, some said once every six months but what`s the exact answer?? Condition every month and clean and condition every two months??

Analine leather can take more conditioning than coated leather. This does not mean that you should over condition it but if you are a daily driver and leave the car in the sun and do alot of entering and exiting of the car then once a month would be good.

I have been detailing some of my clients cars for years now and condition their leather every 4 to 6 weeks and no adverse effects, just nice soft supple leather. Just don`t use too much, remember "less is more" in detailing. Always buff the leather out after conditioning to remove any excess.

One result of over conditioning might be a premature rotting of the threads, or so I have heard. There is a chemical or ingredient in many conditioners (I can`t remember the name) that is a carrier of the conditioners and can weaken stitching if over applied.

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Mantic6t9

Over conditioning leather IS damaging from what i understand.

Well, yeah, that is possible depending on the type of leather. This is probably a topic best left to an expert in the field. But I can imagine that untreated leather (aka Nappa leather in an M-series) could be stained if the wrong conditioner is overused.

Thing is, 95% or so of the cars on the road have treated (clearcoated)leather. So the conditioner mostly just sits on top of the clearcoat instead of being fully absorbed in, like it would be on Nappa leather. So, excess conditioner ends up on your clothes than in the leather fibers themselves. Plus some of the excess product will be evaporated and maybe some will get soaked in.

Anyway, good point but a little hard to know for sure unless some kind of testing is conducted. That`s why I remarked that there is no exact answer. Who knows what the conditions are at any given time.

Post Thanks / Like

So maybe once every 3-4 month?? I only know that you treat your dash/vinyl every month for best protection.
    Leather and vinyl are two very different products!

Vinyl is a plastic and does not need conditioning nor feeding, although the marketers of car care products would like you to believe that their products are necessary for vinyl longevity. Vinyl’s only natural enemy is ultraviolet radiation, and most modern automotive vinyl is treated with a UV shield. Unlike a ‘50s or ‘60s car, you could probably park your late model car facing into the sun all day for several years before you would find any loss of flexibility or fading. All that is needed is a wipe down with a damp (plain water or a mild soap solution) cloth. In addition I also apply a coating of 303 Aerospace Protectant (the best UV shield available) every month or two, but in reality it’s probably not needed.

Leather is a natural product and requires that its natural oils be maintained or it will dry and crack. Unless coated it is also absorbent and requires periodic cleaning. Although dedicated leather cleaning products are fine, a periodic wipe down with a damp (plain water or a mild soap solution) cloth is adequate. For deep cleaning of old and dirty leather there is no better product than Leatherique cleaner. IMO most of the leather conditioners are roughly equal (except for smell) and should be used on an as needed basis, but a high lanolin content hand lotion would probably be just as good. High temps, direct sun, and low humidity will dry the oils fairly quickly and more frequent conditioning will be needed than if your car lives in a temperate climate. As has been said, it is thought that some conditioners will eventually damage the stitching - especially if a synthetic fiber is used. For old and very dry leather Leatherique conditioner will work wonders, but it’s overkill in normal circumstances. As an OCD sufferer I also use 303 AP on the leather in my roadster.
    <B>OCD</B> sufferer and charter member of the
    <B>A</B>nal <B>R</B>etentive <B>Z</B>3 <B>O</B>wners <B>A</B>ssociation

Post Thanks / Like
    imo, also depends on whether its a convertible or not...

convertibles have to deal with weather (sun, etc.)-

if its not a convtertible, a good leather cleaning and preserving at least every 6 mos or so should do it (i like the townsend products)...

if its a convertible, with sun exposure, i think it will prob need leather treatment (cleaning and preserving) every time its detailed...

one wanabes opinion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Nick T.

Leather and vinyl are two very different products!

Yeah, I know, I`m just saying it. I use lexol twins on my leather and 303 on my dash/vinyl.
    2004 black Acura MDX

My Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by wanabe

imo, also depends on whether its a convertible or not...

convertibles have to deal with weather (sun, etc.)
    Right on wanabe! In over two years I`ve only driven 106.9 miles with the top up so my seats get a lot of conditioning and 303 AP.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree I don`t think there`s an exact answer to this question.... Just like the "How often to re-wax?" question... :nixweiss

1) What product you`re using

2) The leather or leather quality of your seats

3) Sun/temperature exposure

4) :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you use a PC to buff out the leather or is it a task best done by hand?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by YouGottaBeLeaf

Can you use a PC to buff out the leather or is it a task best done by hand?
    You can, but I wouldn`t.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 4DSC

3) Sun/temperature exposure

I live in your area
    2004 black Acura MDX

My Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

I live in your area
    I know, and right now it`s "unusually hot"! It was supposed to rain this weekend and instead it`s blazing sun outside...

Colour could be sort of a factor too, because black seats (like mine... ) get blazing hot in direct sunlight, while very light colours aren`t as bad.

Anyway, I think there`s still too many variables so I think you`ll have to just keep an eye on the seats and see if they "feel" like they need re-conditioning or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information