Post Thanks / Like
    I have at least three different types of trim on my car that I`d like to make look better.

The smaller vertical strip is kinda textured -- this type is at the edges of the roof panel. The larger vertical strip is smooth -- at the edge of the front windshield. The horizontal strip is smooth and kinda glossy looking - at the top of the front windshield and around the rest of the windows. Not sure if that is polish/wax on the larger strip or if it`s weathered.

I applied Mother`s Back to Black about a week and a half ago (have used it before too), but it didn`t look too good for very long. Tons of rain recently probably doesn`t help matters. There`s another type of trim around the cowl and the mirrors that the Back to Black seems to have done a decent job on.

What other product(s) should I try?

Looks like I need to do a better job cleaning the paint right up next to the trim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    hey man,

that looks very similar to my mom`s honda. I believe the part that runs front to back on the top of the car is rubberized. I just picked up some Simple Green and it actually says that it`s supposed to deal with "rubber oxidation". I put some on and it def did take away a lot of that uneven discoleration. A lot of times, trim gets caked with old, dried wax and must be cleaned thoroughly before you try to treat it. I tried to "forever black" some trim once w/out removing old wax and it got blacker ... but it was splotchy from the wax.

your best bet is to get all the dried gunk off it first w/ a cleaner of some sort

alex

Post Thanks / Like
    First off I would use rubbing alcohol on the rubber ..Rub it aggressively 3 or 4 times .. the rag will go black.. this is the oxidized rubber coming off. Then dress it with your dressing of choise. Forever Black makes a trim restore dressing thats really good and high durability.Forever Black Site
    PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the recommendation. It looks like AutoGeek carries Forever Black products, so it`ll be easy to obtain (closest retailer in my state is 70 miles away). :up

I guess Forever Black would take care of the smaller vertical strip, would it also work on the larger strip by the windshield? The other smoother stuff doesn`t seem to be in near as bad condition, but I guess cleaning it and dressing it wouldn`t hurt. I don`t know the differences in all the materials...

I have some diluted Simple Green sitting around, and probably have a bottle of alcohol around here too. I can give those a try in a day or two..

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by perry

I have some diluted Simple Green sitting around, and probably have a bottle of alcohol around here too. I can give those a try in a day or two..

Go with the Alcohol first .. I`m not too sure about Simple green use on outer surfaces.
    PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought simple green wasn`t good for interior either tho? Surely its safe for other stuff other than engine detailing, no? i tried, peanut butter, alcohol, steel wool (yeah, i know) and degreasers worked best for *me* on trim. I always dressed if afterward w/ Armor All, or Forever Black ... of course

alex

Thread Information