Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I had never personally saw this happen until today and was in shock.

I had observed two young lads at a gas station today. I saw both of them pick-up the window squeegee and started cleaning their windows. And I thought we have a couple of future Autopians at work. Then all hell broke loose! They started to work that sponge on the squeegee on the paint of their Infiniti. Next they turned over the squeeqee and squeeqee the area. They continued with this routine on the entire car. And then got got the paper towels supplied at the gas station and started wiping down the entire Inifinit with it.

I stood there in dismay and they were so proud of themselves. I guess not everyone will grow up to be an Autopian.

I wanted to say something but I didn`t know where to start.

With Aloha,

Ranney

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve seen this before too. It amazed me also.

I think most ppl have this mentality that their car is made out of steel, and can withstand any abuse and doesn`t need any special care.

Better off you didn`t say anything, you`d have been there for hours, and they still wouldn`t have gotten the pic. I guess common sense can never actually be taught anyways. :nixweiss
    Anthony

VW GTI 20th Anniversary Edition #0293

Flawless Auto Detailing - "Expect Perfection"

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I`ve witnessed a similar horror story almost 14 years ago....in my own family`s driveway!

I mother "washed" the hood of our nearly new, black 1980 Audi 5000 Turbo with Windex and paper towels. It still makes me cringe today.

Needless the say, my mom is not an Autopian.

Dean

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw the same thing. Some guy was using the gas station`s squeegee on the hood of his car. My wife was in the car and I explained my horror to her. All I can say is that it takes all kinds to make a world. But on an Infiniti? A Yugo maybe, but not an Infiniti.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m semi-guilty of this. I have, probably on less than three occasions, cleaned bird poop off the car using the squeegee at the car wash.

Hey it`s better than letting it dry, right? RIGHT?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Paul_BB_Guy,

I don`t know about "better than letting it dry". Think about every other person before you who had the same idea. You don`t know how many times that squeegee had been used the same way and dipped into that bucket. Imagine all the dust, dirt, and bird poop particles that had collected on that squeegee sponge.

I think I would have gotten got a clean MF towel and a QD and saturated the area then wiped it off. Better safe then to be sorry.

:LOLOL

With Aloha,

Ranney

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m guilty of doing this, although I wasn`t so extreme. My sister was getting gas (for the first time in her life) in my mom`s brand new car. She ended up spilling about half a cup onto the side of the car below the gas cap (don`t ask me how.) I freaked out and grabbed the squeegee making sure it was really wet and wiped the side where the gas had spilled, I didn`t go as far as to dry it with the squeegee though. How I`ve changed! I won`t even let a squeegee touch my windows anymore!

Oh yeah, I have a neighbor who does this to his car on a weekly basis, he dries his car with the squeegee.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to do it all the time...

...on a pretty well trashed `69 Camaro bracket racer.

It`s kinda tough to hurt grey primer

Post Thanks / Like
    heh heh, when i used to work at a gas station, i saw this once or twice. i think after the second one, we stopped the people mainly because it was wasting the soapy water and my former boss was kinda stingy.
    Reid

2004 Azure Blue Ford Mustang Mach1

Post Thanks / Like
    I once spent an entire day detailing my 70 something neighbor lady`s very nice Lincoln as a neighborly gesture since she had let me park my Vette in one of the empty stalls in her four car garage overnight (she has one car) while I worked on my son`s car in our garage. She was so pleased, said her car had never looked so good, even new. A week later she returned from being out somewhere and I noticed that her car looked very clean and commended her for keeping it clean when she came across the street to get her mail. She said she knew that I had spent a whole day cleaning it so she wanted to keep it looking good. Then she related that she had been getting gas and did the entire car with the window wash/squeegee method because a wash "costs so much". This from a lady whose husbund owned a very large bridge construction company and obviously was not hurting at all for funds. Needless to say, that was my last "freebee" detailing job for a long, long time.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I bought my own car I had no experience in proper care. So I go to the coin-op self wash and use their foam brush then I dried the vehicle and noticed the car was semi clean. I go home and use orange blast super strength auto degreaser with paper towels to finish it. I didn`t feel dumb at that time but it was the only time I did this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh no...

This thread is like nails on a chalkboard.

The bad part is that all of us are guilty of doing something stupid at one time or another.

Post Thanks / Like
    This one will grab you. Years ago, my uncle bought a new sky blue Ford Vic. He took it on a trip that brought him over several miles of oiled gravel. The car got really ugly so he grabbed a box of Brillo pads and proceeded to remove the oil. He got one fender finished and when he rinsed it he realized that it was no longer shiny.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve witnessed people w/ a roll of paper towels and a bottle of windex/and 409

Post Thanks / Like
    people can learn. when i was in high school i washed my car with scrubby kitchen sponges.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information