Thread: new car blues

Post Thanks / Like
    I just bought a 2004 white Honda Accord. Nice car but the paint on it was in really poor condition. The salesperson said it had been on the lot for 45 days (Florida sun and rain) and I have no idea how long it took from the factory to the lot. I had no idea a car could look that bad in so little time. Is there any reason why I cannot start working on the paint now. I had heard that it takes about 3 months for the paint to "cure" before it can be polished/waxed etc. If so, would my first step be to clay it. I had though maybe clay, then the Klasse twins. I will be doing this by hand and I would appreciate any suggestions about how to proceed. BTW, I had no idea so many products were out there for detailing. I had always used steps 2 and 3 of the Meguiars 3 step and now I see there is way more out there than I thought.

Thanks,

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    What do you mean by the paint being in really poor condition? Are there swirls, marring, water spots, bird poop etc or is it just plain dirty.

The factory paint is cured at a very high temperature so there is no reason why you can`t start working immediately. If the paint is simply dirty then claying and the Klasse twins should clean it right up.

If there is marring then you`re going to have to use a polish. There are a few out there you can do by hand for minor swirls. Anything worse then a machine is better suited.

If it`s not too late make sure you don`t let the dealer prep it or you may have more work than you bargained for.
    Is that a new claybar in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

Post Thanks / Like
    off topic but check out this site: WWW.V6performance.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Yosemite Dan,

No there is no marring or swirls. But here is really no shine. I can see where they had tried to "wash" the car and the grey streaks of the wash rag look stuck onto the paint. I could not rub them off with water and a cloth. I also see lots of places where there are tiny spots of something stuck onto the paint. I tried to go over one very small spot with Meguiars polish and it took a lot of rubbing to get it off. I hope that the clay will do a better job. Thanks for the help.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Mike Cole

Yosemite Dan,

No there is no marring or swirls. But here is really no shine. I can see where they had tried to "wash" the car and the grey streaks of the wash rag look stuck onto the paint. I could not rub them off with water and a cloth. I also see lots of places where there are tiny spots of something stuck onto the paint. I tried to go over one very small spot with Meguiars polish and it took a lot of rubbing to get it off. I hope that the clay will do a better job. Thanks for the help.

Mike

Try to post some pics so some of our Autopian experts can better advise you. From what you`re saying a simple claying and cleaning may not do it and you`ll have to get out the polish. I hope you got a good discount considering the condition of the paint. Those dealers just have no respect for thier vehicles.

If you don`t have MF towels now would be a good time to purchase some. Your new car deserves the best. Pakshak has great ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    like I`ve posted many times recently....clay!!!

Do it while you wash, hopefully it`ll work. Be patient too, sounds like it`ll take a while to get everything clean.

yeah, pics would be helpful too
    `04 Steel Gray Metallic Mazda 6s V6 5door, `97 Honda Accord SE

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a crappy digital camera but I`ll see if I can get some closeups. The Honda place called for a post sales survey and I told them I didn`t like the paint. She said she would note it in her report. I don`t think I will let the dealer do anything though since, like you said, they make make even more work for me.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Mike Cole

I have a crappy digital camera but I`ll see if I can get some closeups. The Honda place called for a post sales survey and I told them I didn`t like the paint. She said she would note it in her report. I don`t think I will let the dealer do anything though since, like you said, they make make even more work for me.

Mike

Make sure you state to the dealer several times(and in writing) to leave it as is as they do seem to be hard of hearing sometimes and find it hard to beleive that you don`t want them to wash your car. Considering what they use to wash it I don`t know what they find hard to beleive.

Tell them if they wash it and it becomes swirl city then they`re responsible for paying because you have to get it professionally detailed. This usually gets them to listen.

Post Thanks / Like
    If it is really that bad I would refuse to take it and find another car...If you have already taken delivery I would get soem good pics and contact the local/regional rep fropm Honda and let them know that for a new car this is unacceptable and you would like them to have it detailed by the shop of your choice

Thread Information