Post Thanks / Like
    Hello!

I`m new to the forum so a short introduction would be a good way to start . I`m a 23 year old student from Finland (the country where ice bears walk along the streets, you know ), I bought a Indie Blue/White Mini Cooper S a year ago. I really wasn`t that obsessed with car detailing before I got this car, A few coats of autoglym 3-4 times a year and I was happy with it...

Now, this car has turned me into something... I feel like I have a duty to keep my car as shiny as possible all the time. I wash the car 3-4 times a week and wax it at least, well once a month. The winter is a little bit more difficult because I don`t have a garage.

I`m trying to get a "perfect shine" and I have a few products that I have used but have not been perfectly pleased with the results. My car has an extremely soft paint (or clear coat, actually) and has lots of really light swirlmarks. My budget is kinda tight because I am a student and I bought a car that`s cost`s a lot more than I really can afford, I would like to use the stuff I allready have.

The stuff I have:

Waxes and polishes:

Meguiars Gold Class Clear Coat Paste Wax

Meguiars ScratchX

Meguiars #7 ShowCar Glaze

Meguiars #9 Swirl Remover

AutoGlym Super Resin Polish

AutoGlym Extra Gloss Protection

Eagle One WET Polish&Wax

+ A lot of dtergents, QD`s etc.etc.

What should I use, how and in which order?

Last time I waxed my car I used Meg`s #9 then Meg`s #7 and then I topped off with a coat of Gold Class Paste wax. And yes, the swirls were still wisible, the shine was quite good hovewer. I once buffed the whole car with ScratchX (phew!) and it actually reduced some of the swirls... Now they seem to be back though..

Please, give some advice!

Thank you & best regards,

Silli

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    :welcome to Autopia Silli

~One man’s opinion / observations ~

1. Machine polish:

Meguiars ScratchX

2. Wax / Glaze:

Eagle One WET Polish&Wax

2a. Polymer Resin:

Order of application 1, 2 or 2a,

For your climate I’d go for the most protection Autoglym (polymer sealant) and use a wax as a ‘topper’ (to provide a sacrificial barrier + a ‘warm’ shine) I don’t have any idea how bad (if at all) your surface scratches are but the two machine polishes you have are ‘mild’ and should be fine for a relatively new car

+ A lot of detergents (bad word around here) try to get a specific car wash concentrate (we could recommend at least a dozen but I have no idea of your market, as you have Autoglym products already go for their car shampoo), QD`s etc.etc.

I would also suggest (if you haven’t done so already, download DavidB’s e-Detailing (free this site)

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon

justadumbarchitect * so I question everything *
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TOGWT

:welcome to Autopia Silli

~One man’s opinion / observations ~

1. Machine polish:

Meguiars ScratchX

2. Wax / Glaze:

Eagle One WET Polish&Wax

2a. Polymer Resin:

Order of application 1, 2 or 2a,

For your climate I’d go for the most protection Autoglym (polymer sealant) and use a wax as a ‘topper’ (to provide a sacrificial barrier + a ‘warm’ shine) I don’t have any idea how bad (if at all) your surface scratches are but the two machine polishes you have are ‘mild’ and should be fine for a relatively new car

+ A lot of detergents (bad word around here) try to get a specific car wash concentrate (we could recommend at least a dozen but I have no idea of your market, as you have Autoglym products already go for their car shampoo), QD`s etc.etc.

I would also suggest (if you haven’t done so already, download DavidB’s e-Detailing (free this site)

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon

justadumbarchitect * so I question everything *

Thanks for the advice!

I don`t have a machine polisher, my work will be done through sweat and tears

The summer in Finland is mostly warm, everything from 15 to 30 degrees C. For the winter I will be using many layers of Autoglym Extra Gloss. But for the summer I want the best shine.

The autoglym Extra Gloss Protection is generally held as a "good wax" but I have newer got an even coat of it. Ther`s allways "patterns" from the work. This, I have tried will even out when adding a carnauba wax on top. Is it okay that way? Any benefit by doing this way (with shinyness in mind)?

Should I add the eagle one wet wax over the Gold Class? I have not tried the EO wax yet, I got it from my sister who works at Valvoline Finland.

As detergents I have Meguiar`s Gold Class Shampoo & Conditioner, which seems to be a great stuff as it does not bleach out my black, plastic wheelarches that much. Then I have a big bottle of Eagle One WET Carwash, I have not yet tried this one.

For quick detailing I use Meguiar`s Quick Detailer and I allso have a fresh bottle of EO WAUD which I will try to mix with water as per instructions I have read from here.

Window Washers are AutoGlym Fast Glass and EO 20/20 (not tried yet).

Interior wash: AutoGlym Car Interior Shampoo (wery good)

Trim care: AutoGlym Bumper Care (which gives great results but is not wery longlasting)

Wheelwash: EO All Wheel & Tire Cleaner (great stuff!, I have 6 bottles waiting to be used )

Metalpolish: Autosol

Leather Care: AutoGlym Leather Care

Feel free to comment on the products I use!

I just downloaded the e-book, I`ll start reading it right away.

Regards,

Silli

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to Autopia.

The shine mostly comes from the preparation of the paint, a good product helps but work on getting the paint looking great before you add anything.

I am not sure what you mean by "patterns" from the Extra Gloss. Autoglyms Extra Gloss needs a long time to cure before buffing. I would say at least one hour but longer if possible. It should also be applied in very thin layers. Imagine it costs 100 times more than you pay for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    With patterns from the Extra Gloss I mean that the finish after buffing it off is uneven, the "patterns" from the cloth/applicator pad can be seen on the finish at some angles.

A followup question:

If I do the work this way (after washing and cleaning):

- #9 Swirl Remover

- #7 Show Car Glaze

- AutoGlym Extra Gloss Protection (sealing the polish and glaze...)

- Meguiar`s Gold Class (adding some more depth...)

Does the Extra Gloss Protection bond to the "oily" surface that the Show Car Glaze creates? Does the Gold Class weaken or "eat" the Extra Gloss polymer layer?

If, after trying this out, I`m still not happy with the results, I`ll have to order P21S and Klasse AIO. Can I still use #9 and #7 for surface prep?

Thanks in advance,

Silli

Post Thanks / Like
    WELCOME,can I ask you what kind of towels you are using?That may be part of the problem.How are you removing the wax?I love those little coopers.ANYONE SEE THE MOVIE ITALIAN JOB?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ALAN81

WELCOME,can I ask you what kind of towels you are using?That may be part of the problem.How are you removing the wax?I love those little coopers.ANYONE SEE THE MOVIE ITALIAN JOB?

I`m using Meguiar`s Ultimate Wipe, but I`m not shure if I have used it on the autoglym stuff. Might have been just some old t-shirt (outch!, I didn`t say that loud).

And yes, I have seen italian job

Here`s a little pic of my beauty... Allmost shiny.

regards,

Silli

Post Thanks / Like
    first of all nice car !!!!!Second only use MF towels!! Third if you can get a few PLUSH MF that would help(In MY OPINION)The old T shirt could have scratched your car LIVE AND LEARN ONLY QUALITY PRODUCTS

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not sure how well the Extra Gloss will bond to any glaze, as it is designed to work with the Resin, but it is worth a try. You might not get the full protection of months but it could look good.

Remember, thin layers. Let us know how you get on.

Nice Mini

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the advice!

I haven`t used any t-shirts on my mini, and have not tried extra gloss on it either. My experiences on it were on my old car.

I have a few 100% cotton cloths along with my Meguiar`s Ultimate Wipe MF Towel. Are they ok to be used for the polish and glaze? One MF Towel really don`t last for all the layers. I rather not buy more of them at 17€(18-19$) a piece!

I`ll have to try this out when my current shine wears away, which is probably in a few weeks...

If I take the plunge and order Klasse AIO and P21S along with a clay and a few MF towels. Will I really see a difference? Is there anything else I would need along?

Thanks,

Silli

next pic...

Thread Information