Post Thanks / Like
    New guy here, in case you didn`t notice.

Anyway, I recently tried out some new stuff (we all know how fun it is,) switching over to FMJ after giving the car (a black `98 Firebird Formula) a shot of IP, FPII, and glaze with the 7424. I was impressed with the results, but I`m looking for ways to possibly improve upon it (you all know what that`s like.)

What I want to know is if anyone`s messed around with certain combos with the FMJ (such as with caranubas, AIO, etc,) or will I be taking a shots in the dark hoping to stumble across something that works well? Also, does anyone know of a decent detail spray to use with it (seeing as how Menzerna doesn`t make one, at least last I checked.) I`m tempted to use Z6, since I gave it a shot on half my rear bumper and the looks/slickness didn`t seem to be affected.

If nobody`s got anything, should I just try a tried-and-true combo for a dark car (such as P21S on Blackfire) until some more experiments are done?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello and welcome to the forum:wavey

I use the Menzerna line alot and if you go to the "Click & Brag" threads and do a search there you will find postings of some cars I have finished out with FMJ.

No carnauba toppers though as a final topper does not seem to sit well on the FMJ.

Take care,

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the Menzerna glaze yesterday on black after a good polishing.

A little went a long way and provided a KILLER deep, wet gloss to the paint.

It is very oily yet did NOT smear a bit when removed. Easy as pie to remove even with a plush MF which ususally smears glazes.

I think I found my new glaze!

I was going to top with FMJ but used #16 instead for whatever reason.

I have heard that two coats of FMJ is all you can really do with no topper.
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    cma recomnds blackfire spritz on top of fmj, I have used z-6 ,wolfgang.I also like the anti staic sprays like z,wizards and prefect detail.,quickshine and sonus.
    wax on,wipe off zen wax again
    no camera here,just my own experiences .observations and opinions.

"I never met a man who thought his thinking was faulty!" M. Montaigne

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh yeah, Full Metal Jacket.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like
    Anthony: I ran a search and saw that you`ve tried out AIO along with FMJ. Would you recommend the FTG or the AIO as the step after the twins and before the final sealant?

I assume the AIO would remove the glaze if put on top of it, right? What about the glaze on top of the AIO, then FMJ on top of that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Did my own and my cousin`s car these last 2 weeks. Both are Hondas.

On the first car: Clay, PC using PowerGloss, IP, FP II, Finishing Touch Glaze and by hand FMJ. Did not like the Glaze that much due to difficulty removing it. Left the surface smooth but lacked the shine. The final-result was outstanding though.

On the 2nd car: Clay, PC using PG, IP, FP II, Mothers Sealer and Glaze and then by hand P21S GEPC topped with FMJ. S&G was alot easier to remove and gave it some smoothness and shine and the GEPC added a new dimension of slickness that the S&G nor the FT Glaze provided. Topped with FMJ. The end-result was a beautiful carnauba/sealant glow.

I am not ready to give up on Finishing Touch. Will use it again. Maybe we used too much with the PC. Will try by hand next time. We did use different mf`s to no avail.

As far as a detail spray goes over the FMJ, I just ordered 1Z Raindance Lackfinish Detail. Its not out yet but its avail for pre-order and its compatible with carnaubas and sealants.

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the "PowerGloss" you said you used as the initial step with the PC?

Maybe you just had to work the FTG a bit more with the PC, I don`t recall having any issues with removal when I used it...but no two people ever have the exact same experience. I used orange pads with the twins, white with the glaze, and a Microfinger pad with FMJ.

EDIT: In case you guys were curious, you can see pictures (in both light and dusk) of my results with the whole process here: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/406839/3

Post Thanks / Like
    is a Menzerna compound, about a 6.5-7.0 on the Meguiar`s scale. Its on par with Meguiar`s DACP #83 or a bit more aggressive. It leaves very little or no haze and it cleans the paint surface very well. Its avail locally in CT (at some auto paint stores) or thru CMA or thru Menzerna NY. Its been avail since 6/03.

We worked the FTG very well. I don`t know what the problem may be for us but we will try it again. Used a Lake Country Gray finishing pad. Maybe we will try a white pad next time. Like I said, I won`t give up on it just yet. Bonding of FMJ to Mother`s S&G and P21S Gloss Enhancing Polish was not a problem.

All in all I love the Menzerna product line.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I`m going to do the whole process one more time since the first was my first time using the PC and I didn`t work the IP enough. I still have a few swirls that you can see in heavy sun.

I think I`ll give the PowerGloss a shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by assbreeze

Anthony: I ran a search and saw that you`ve tried out AIO along with FMJ. Would you recommend the FTG or the AIO as the step after the twins and before the final sealant?

I assume the AIO would remove the glaze if put on top of it, right? What about the glaze on top of the AIO, then FMJ on top of that?

Keep it simple.......The FP then AIO and FMJ as the sealer and you will have a great carnauba type finish but with the longevity of a sealant.

I don`t care much for the FTG. I prefer AIO. FTG and AIO do not go well with one another. Trying to top the AIO with the FTG will only cause you headaches.

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    Apply AIO by hand or with a white pad on the PC?

I don`t need Power Gloss for the Formula, but my old `91 Cougar definitely needs it. 250,000 miles haven`t been kind to that thing. I hope I can bring it back.

Thread Information