Thread: Is this right?

Post Thanks / Like
    This is from a Porsche forum that I visit on occassion. They are very excited about Rejex and it`s durability being superior to Klasse, Zaino, etc. Check out these comments from the forum regarding glazes, paint preparation, and swirl removal.

Any thoughts?

I`ll let the Rejex guy describe the differences between organic wax, and Rejex, but, since you have a new car and its finish has not yet had its share of road abuse, there are a few steps you can take to lock in that new car shine.

1. Wash your car with a mild detergent like Dawn to strip off the wax.

2. Go over the finish with a clay bar to remove any shipping film residual.

3. Give the finish a covering of glaze applied with an orbital buffer and foam pad.

4. Apply a coat of swirl remover with a Orbital buffer and foam pad.

5. After you have buffed out the above, wait at least 2 hours and buff it again.

6. Apply a coat of Rejex, include windows and rims, let cure overnight.

7. Next day give it another coat, let cure at least 8 hours.

8. Take some pictures and post them. Take care not to be blinded by the shine on the paint.

I questioned the rationale for use of a glaze prior to the removal of swirls and this is what he replied.

The steps outlined are in the correct order. When one applies glaze, there are going to be swirl and streak marks regardless of if it is applied by machine or hand. Remember that glaze is really a filler for micro-scratches and other fine imperfections in the paint surface. The swirl remover does just that in that it polishes the surface and levels out the glaze.

Try it, and you will find that this order will create a very smooth specular surface that will reflect light very evenly to give the "mirror" look.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm, that doesn`t make any sense to me. The swirl remover will remove the glaze and its fillers. :nixweiss
    " A car doesn`t have to be the fastest or most powerful to be the love of your life."- Temperacerguy

Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly what I was thinking...

Post Thanks / Like
    Glazes causing swirls - I don`t think so.
    Car care/detailing sadly isn`t high on the agenda for 98% of australians.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMHO I think the order is incorrect, as suggester an SMR will remove a glaze (if it can`t remove a glaze it will not remove surface marring etc)

The only way a glaze will produce swirl marks is by improper application (i.e. circular movements as opposed to applying it in straight line motions)

Chemistry: Scientific Fact

Marketing: Science Fiction

Myth: A mix of both fact and fiction (scientific or otherwise)

You choose...
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Thread Information