Post Thanks / Like
    A lubricant is something that is "between" two surfaces to reduce friction or heat. So the clay never is suppose to touch the paint. Then how can clay harm your paint or why should we limit the amount of times we clay the car?

Post Thanks / Like
    Clay can harm your paint only after it gets loaded up with contaminants and you continue to pull it across the paint. There is no limit on the number of times you can clay your paint, but a couple of times a year should be sufficient.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like you said...it "REDUCES friction and heat" Does not totally eliminate it. Just becaue there is a soapy layer between them does not mean the clay is not in contact with the surface. It just helps it glide across better and safer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Malachi

A lubricant is something that is "between" two surfaces to reduce friction or heat. So the clay never is suppose to touch the paint. Then how can clay harm your paint or why should we limit the amount of times we clay the car?

So when I lubricate my drill bit the oil gets in between the bit and metal, and prevents me from drilling the hole.

That isn`t what happens, is it? There`s more to lubrication then that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by foxtrapper

So when I lubricate my drill bit the oil gets in between the bit and metal, and prevents me from drilling the hole.

That isn`t what happens, is it? There`s more to lubrication then that.

The oil gets between the drill and the metal and lubricates reducing friction and therefore heat. It may also serve to carry away removed stock but the main thing it does is reduce friction. It makes drilling the hole easier and faster and keeps the bit sharper longer.

Same thing for clay and lube. The lube actually forms a coating for the clay to glide on. The clay is like hydroplaning over the paint. The layer of lube between the clay and the paint is very thin. Contaminants are like boulders on the paint and the clay contacts and grabs them and pulls them off the paint.

Thread Information