Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    After cleaning my rims, I still have these stubborn circular specks of break dust that will not come off. The problem seems to be getting worse. I have tried Eagle 1 A2Z, P21 Gel, and Zaino Clay. Nothing has worked. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I would try WD40. That seems to remove all manner of brake dust for me. Just make sure you don`t get any on the brakes. After that, I would consider a paint cleaner or a mild swirl remover like #9.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have any old clay - the piece you don`t want to use on your paint again......

Post Thanks / Like
    I second the "old clay" tip. I see that you have used Zaino Clay. Be ready to spend lots of time on your rims with the clay. When I did it to my Expidition it took me about 20 minutes per rim and I used lots and lots of lube. I have also used chrome polish to remove the black specks. The chrome polish works but be prepared to rub, rub and then rub some more. I can`t remember what chrome polish I am using now. I will have to check it out when I get home. Also when you get them clean be sure and put a protective coat of something on them. I used AIO to be sure they were as clean then put on a coat of SG. It`s only been about a week but this seems to help cut down on the dust and dirt sticking to my rims.

I had new pads and rotors installed in December and have had this problem ever since. I never had this problem with the factory pads. I am thinking of getting different brake pads to try and cut down on the dust.
    Insert witty quip here...

Shawn

Post Thanks / Like
    I have this same problem, except my MINI`s rims are CLEARCOATED. Do the same suggestions apply? Using chrome polish, WD40, etc. sounds like just the thing for alloy wheels, but how about mine?

-Troy
    2002 Electric Blue/White MINI Cooper S

Car by MINI, brakes by BMW!

Post Thanks / Like
    Troy I would be very careful with your CC rims. Read the label on the chrome polish and make sure it is CC safe. I would use clay on your CC rims first and see what type of a job that does.

On a side note. How do you like your Mini? I have been thinking of getting one. I like how they look.

Shawn

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the car. I know they`re not for everyone, but there isn`t a skeptic around that`s driven a Cooper S and said that it`s not the most fun they`ve had driving in years. It embodies why I work as hard as I do to keep up appearances. It deserves to be shiny and protected.

Yes, I know, "if that`s the case, then why haven`t you waxed the rims in almost a year?" it`s because the rims are very time-consuming, but now that i need to do repair work on them, I`m pretty sure I know which is the more time-consuming

Post Thanks / Like
    I understand all about regretting not doing preventative maintenance-vs-actual repair work. The rims on my Expidition are a mother if I let them get bad.

Shawn

Post Thanks / Like
    Coincidently, I have a Mini Cooper S as well. It is a 2003. It’s Silver with a Black Top. I love the car. It has grip like super glue. I have taken corners and on ramps at, what I consider, dare devil speeds and have yet to make my tires squeal. I believe that my car’s limits are past my own. Anyway, you should get one but wait until the 2005 model becomes available. It has a slight power increase, plus a few other modifications.

I tried the WD40 this morning with no luck. However, I didn’t let it stay on very long. 2wheelsx2, How long did you let the W#D40 sit before removing?

Sullybob, what brand of clay were you using? I believe that Zaino is synthetic clay, which may be the reason why the clay didn’t work for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    galvatron, I used clay magic. I bought it from Pep-Boys. I used the clay after I clayed my wife`s car. Its a 1984 Toyota Corolla that had never been clayed or polished. The clay was used up when I was finshed with her car and I figured that I couldn`t hurt my rims anymore then they already were. Maybe my clay had enough contaminants (sp?) in it to act as a mild abrasive.

Shawn

Serious no BS kinda guy forrest@mothers's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Try using our Clear Coat Wheel Polish, part # 05108.

We have 2 MINI`s both S models, and both came with the 17" wheels, which were promptly dumped because they`re too heavy. Now we`re running SSR Comp`s, which weigh 12# for a 17" wheel.

Consider changing your pads, too. I went with the EBC "green" pads - they dust less, fade less, and work better on track day.
    forrest

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by galvatron

I tried the WD40 this morning with no luck. However, I didn’t let it stay on very long. 2wheelsx2, How long did you let the W#D40 sit before removing?

Not very long. Like 10 seconds. If it didn`t work, it`s not going to. Go the clay route, and then with an SMR or a paint cleaner, and lots of elbow grease. If you are really really careful, you might want to try one of the Mr. Clean Erasers, and then buff with an SMR to clean up any minor swirling.

Edit: Oh yeah, Forrest`s suggestion for the clearcoat wheel polish is a good one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I tried Mother`s Clay, then Eagle One A2Z Wheel and Tire Cleaner, then the Clay with the Cleaner as lube.

Nothing.

I tried Meguiar`s ScratchX, just to see if the abrading action would pull the stuff out.

Nothing.

I`ll take a picture later on and post it so you can really see what`s going on here.

I`ll also check out the Clear Coat Wheel Polish once I get to a PepBoys.

Thanks,

Troy

Post Thanks / Like
    Brake cleaner can work wonders.

Just a thought, are the specks raised or could they be visable signs of damage?

Post Thanks / Like
    Raised, but I did wonder if maybe the black spots are just missing clearcoat over corrosion.

Still though, they feel raised to me. I`ll try to get some hi-res pics when I get home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information