Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello, my name is Nick and I’m a Zainoholic.

About a year ago I realized that the thirty or forty plus layers of Zaino on my Z3 might be an early indication that possibly I was becoming addicted to Zaino, so I started keeping a diary of my Zaino usage. It soon became clear that I was suffering from Zainoholism; that I was a Zainoholic!

It was difficult and it was challenging, but I knew that I could kick the habit. I covered my Zaino with layers of various carnaubas. In a couple of areas I stripped the Zaino and applied other synthetics. After a few months the withdrawal symptoms became almost bearable (or maybe I just became numb), and I was able to take my many bottles of Z-this and Z-that out of hiding and put them on the shelf along with my other toys. After a year I thought that I had beaten my Zainoholism. A few weeks ago I bought a new toy, a Chili Red ‘04 MINI Cooper S, and decided that I would go with Klasse as its protectant. I did all the normal paint prep and finished up with a P.C. application of AIO. Then came two coats of HGSG. All was well - - I had passed my “Recovering Zainoholic†exam with flying colors!

Yesterday I applied a third coat of Klasse HGSG. Just like the alcoholic who says, “I’ll just drink one glass of wine to prove that I’ve beaten my addiction,†I said, “I’ll just put Zaino on half of my hood to prove that I’ve beaten my addiction.â€

I wiped down the passenger side of my MCS’s hood with a spritzing of Z-6; the pleasant smell brought many fond memories to mind. Since I was only doing a 3’x3’ area there was no need to use ZFX, so I applied a layer of Z-1 followed immediately by a layer of Z-2. I spent the next hour rubbing conditioner into the leather seats of the Z3 and the MCS, feeling proud of myself for having beaten my Zaino addiction!

A pair of 500W halogen obsession lights were positioned to highlight the hood. A bottle of SonÃs and a clean MF towel were positioned near the driver side of the hood. A bottle of Z-6 and a clean MF towel were positioned near the passenger side of the hood. The fluorescents were switched on. The halogens were switched on. I wiped off the Z-2 residue. I spritzed the area with Z-6 and buffed it lightly with my towel. It looked great! I spritzed the Klasse side with SonÃs and buffed it lightly with another towel. I buffed the Klasse a little more, but there was no way to bring it up to the reflectivity of the Zaino area!

Was the Zaino area really more reflective than the Klasse area, or was my latent Zainoholism affecting my judgment? An hour or so of padmasana and pranayama (sitting in the lotus position practicing breath control) cleared my mind, and I was ready to reevaluate my hood. I looked at it from all angles, I ran my fingers over the surface, I reminded myself that I was no longer addicted, I objectively evaluated and compared the appearance and feel of both sides of the bonnet.

A half ounce of Z-2, a half ounce of Z-5, and five drops of ZFX in a mixing bottle. Sixty seconds of shaking. A quick Z-6 wipe of a working area. A Z-6 misting of a MF applicator. An “M†drawn on the applicator with the Zaino mixture. I tried valiantly to control myself. An invisible force drew my hand and the Zaino applicator to my paint. I was out of control. Fifteen minutes later that entire car had a layer of Zaino and the mixing bottle was in the refrigerator.

While nervously waiting for the Zaino to fully dry and pass the finger test, I told myself that I hadn’t really fallen off of the wagon, it was only an experiment.

I buffed off the residue and before I realized what was happening I found myself applying a second layer of my Zaino mixture! All is lost! Zaino is more addictive than heroin or nicotine! Sal Zaino is the devil incarnate!

Take caution! If a seedy looking character approaches you and whispers, “Hey buddy, wanna try some Zaino.†Take caution, be strong, just say NO. It’s either that or be weak-willed, give in and join me wallowing in a pit of shameless self-degradation, and spend your hours admiring the brilliant reflectivity of your latest layer of Zaino.
    <B>OCD</B> sufferer and charter member of the
    <B>A</B>nal <B>R</B>etentive <B>Z</B>3 <B>O</B>wners <B>A</B>ssociation

Post Thanks / Like
    Nick . . . . What a story! Very creative !

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your article for "Zaino Today" Magazine !!!

I never tried Zaino, however I`m addicted in my own way to the smell of a good carnuba !

Good luck with your new Mini !

Post Thanks / Like
    Nick.... I couldnt have said is better myself
    DEDICATED TO THE PURPOSE BEYOND REASON... Oakley ..

Bill 97 Camaro SS #1422

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats great! All my friends say the same thing about me. And it`s not just Zaino! I just ordered a Makita rotary! Now I`m in trouble!

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL

I`ve been using Glanz wax and Meg`s #16, and every now and then I have the urge to wash/clay/polish/Z5

Only problem is for some reason Zaino doesn`t last long for me.....I have no clue why.

-Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Dr Groove

Nick . . . . What a story! Very creative !

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your article for "Zaino Today" Magazine !!!

I never tried Zaino, however I`m addicted in my own way to the smell of a good carnuba !

Good luck with your new Mini !

Ditto! Except that I`m addicted to Klasse. Now if I only had the time...

Post Thanks / Like
    Nick: regardless of your propensities, it`s good to have you back.

You should try Wolfgang as your next "step". I think it is appears very similar to Z with a carnauba top layer. I`m very pleased with it.

If that doesn`t work, sign up and go to meetings..........

Post Thanks / Like
    Psssst! Hey kid, wanna buy some Z-2?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by MSOsr

You should try Wolfgang as your next "step".
    My Wolfgang Pre-Cleaner, Sealant, and QD was delivered day before yesterday. So far I haven`t really had a chance to play with it - - just two test areas on my black paint. At this point I`d say that it`s pretty good - - very similar to PUPP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nick,

Did you go to ZA and follow their 12 step program? Recovery takes years, so keep trying. J/K. Use what you like as often as you want to, for the results you are looking for.

Eric
    Have you AIO`d today?

Post Thanks / Like
    The Zaino story continues - - -

The Chili Red MINI now had three layers of Klasse HGSG topped by two layers of a Z-2/Z-5 mix and it was time to try to improve the appearance. A couple of strips of narrow masking tape divided the hood longitudinally into thirds. The right side was wiped down with Platinum QD and Platinum UPP was applied. The center section was wiped down with Z-6 and Z-2/Z-5/ZFX was applied. The left section was wiped down with Wolfgang QD and Wolfgang Sealant was applied. I waited 2+ hours (75 and low humidity) to allow complete drying. All sections passed the “finger test†with no smearing. Each section was then wiped cleaned and finished with the appropriate QD. Fresh MF towels and applicators were used for each step and each product.

Findings:

Ease of application was the same for all three products.

There were noticeable differences in product removal:

The Wolfgang Sealant was the easiest to remove and required no QD to help during removal. The MF towel required more shaking than the other products to eliminate the carrier dust.

The Platinum UPP was as easy to remove, but left a faintly oily residue that required a little more wiping to remove. Again no QD needed.

The Zaino required a little more rubbing for removal and Z-6 was needed to remove all traces of the carrier.

Final appearance was very similar for all three products. The Zaino and the Wolfgang had equal reflectivity with the Platinum being very close. The Wolfgang and the Platinum had equal depth with the Zaino being a very close second.

The feel of the Zaino and the Wolfgang was the best (smoothest, slickest) with the Platinum being a very close second. None of the products showed any smearing when rubbed with my bare (clean) hand.

The final test was dragging a fingernail across the surface. Both Wolfgang and Platinum needed medium pressure to cause marring, while Zaino was more resistant.

I didn’t go out in search of suicidal insects to see which surface would be the easiest to clean, but my guess is that Zaino would be the winner by a narrow margin.

IMO all three products, while slightly different, are excellent for my purposes.

My last step was to reapply Zaino to the entire hood (actually on a MINI it isn’t a hood, it’s a bonnet) in preparation for spit-shining with SouverÃn paste.

Post Thanks / Like
    The first step to recovery is admitting your addition~so congrads you are half way there ! As for wax/polish/sealant everyone had there favorites, stick with what you like as long as you arent using the kids lunch money to buy it...

I personally have settled on WG with Souveran Paste on top...just does wonders for my dark blue paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    speedracer - -

Wolfgang topped with SouverÃn paste is an excellent choice! A few days ago I PC’d my Jet Black Z3 with Wolfgang Pre-Wax and hand applied a coat of Wolfgang Sealant. The next day I added another layer of Sealant and today I’ll start spit-shinning it with SouverÃn paste.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Great story and well written. But I just hope I don`t become addicted but I tried Z once and the results were a disaster so it lay forgotten in a cupboard. I then read everything and every body’s methods/tip/tricks and compiled them into a methodology that suited me and tried it on the MB. OK I’ll eat my words, its amazing the shine/look of wax with the durability of polymer (even better than PUPP)

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wastedâ€/

justadumbarchitect *so I question everything*
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nick good help with your zainoholism, but I think the problem is not the Zaino is more Aupopiaholism or perfectionholism than zainoholism

as Montgomery burns would say. .... Excellent
    Audi A3 and Murano.

UPPand Klasse all the way and now P21s on Top of them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information