Thread: PC Usage

Post Thanks / Like
    When using #9 for removing swirls with a PC how should you work it, and is it necessary to use polish on a new vehicle?

Did this today:

washed: NXT Wash

Clayed: Mothers

Used #9 and followed up with NXT

Did not think I needed to use polish on a new truck, could be wrong, I still have some swirls.

So is a swirl free finish virtually impossible on a black car?

Post Thanks / Like
    Come on someone respond

Post Thanks / Like
    A swirl-free finish on a black vehicle is not impossible, but it can be a challenge. How old is the truvk? If it`s brand new, I usually like to let the paint cure for a few months before doing anything to it (let the flames begin).

If you haven`t done this before, you are probably using too muich product and/or the surface isn`t really clean, although the claying should have taken care of that.
    Few problems in life can`t be solved by chocolate.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 2003 Jet Black M3, and have been working on my detailing skills for about 2 1/2 years. I have finally come to the conclusion that I will aim for perfection, but be perfectly happy with slight iimperfection. Because with a bright enough light looking from the right angle one will always be able to find some paint imperfections. That is the nature of very dark colors - the imperfections shows. With my wife`s bamboo pearl Lexus the imperfections are very difficult to detect, but I assure you they are here. So instead of constantly polishing, using somewhat aggressive products, I now am more inclined to use a mild product and a glaze, being satisfied that my car looks stunnning. In fact, it looks better than 99.9% of the cars on the road. Only an autopian close up will notice this mild degree of imperfection.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve got a black truck and Carl is right,it will never be perfect and swirl free being driven every day.I like to think that it`s better taken care of and looks better than the average joe`s truck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by GO Dawgs

When using #9 for removing swirls with a PC how should you work it, and is it necessary to use polish on a new vehicle?

Did not think I needed to use polish on a new truck, could be wrong, I still have some swirls.

So is a swirl free finish virtually impossible on a black car?

If you have marring (such as swirls), then yeah, you need to polish no matter how new/old the vehicle is. Well, you need to polish if you want to get rid of the marring.

#9 is often too mild to remove anything by PC. I`d use at least #82, probably nothing milder than #80. Using a "heavy" LSP and washing the vehicle before it gets too dirty will help too.

I had a *lot* of black vehicles before deciding that life`s too short. It`s perfectly possible to get a swirl-free finish. *KEEPING* it swirl-free is the challenge. Do a search on "Accumulator`s Non-marring Wash Technique" to see the kind of wash regimen you`d have to do to avoid marring. Probably more sensible to get the finish *decent* and then work at hiding the marring that`s left as best you can.

Thread Information