Post Thanks / Like
    I`m new to this,I just spent some good money in Detail supply tools etc...and decided to try on,so I call my friend and asked him if he wants me to detail his car :p He said no problem.:bounce

He has a Mitsubishi Eclipse red color,not bad for 1999 convertible.

That`s what I did:

Wash

Clay

Polish

Glaze

Wax ----> Yeah right

Plus all the inside work (Not leather)

At the end of 5 1/2 hours I was so tired I could barelly walk :scared

I was going to wax but I couldn`t lift my arms,that`s worse than running a marathon.

I can`t imagine myself doing a Escalade.:shocked

I just want to salute you guys,thank God this is just a hobby for me.If I had to depend on to eat,I would be insane.:sosad

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree 100%. I`m an enthusiast because driving a clean, beautiful car is one of my things. We have 4 cars in our "stable", and each one gets cleaned at least every 2 weeks. I try to divide the in depth detailing so that I never do more than one car at a time, except in the spring when the weather`s cooler and I get enthused; this also happens in the fall, and I spend a week, 6-8 hours a day really doing it right. Thank heavens it is a "hobby" for relaxation. I don`t think I could do it full time. Kudos to those who do!! And they deserve the money they get, tips and all.

Post Thanks / Like
    were you working by machine or by hand

with experience, you will get faster and more organized with your technique and routine.
    Black Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally!! Some appreciation:bounce

I am sure I speak for all the pros when I say THANK YOU for the recognition

And Jeeper is right, in time you get a system down and it goes a bit quicker.

Adios,

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by LouisanaJeeper

were you working by machine or by hand

with experience, you will get faster and more organized with your technique and routine.

I washed by hand

Polished with a PC removed by hand

Glazed by hand removed by hand

Too tired for waxing

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah i do agree with the SUV`s. i`ve only been working on small to medium size sedans and even though i am too tired to do anything else. as an enthusiast, i have no idea how you pros like scottwax or anthony orosco do this on a daily or regular basis. kudos to all of you.

Post Thanks / Like
    i prefer doing suv, b/c they usaully have flater surfaces larger windows=less painted area and the best is less bending

Post Thanks / Like
    doing the roof of an SUV is a real bizatch for me.
    The best comment of my life.......

"Just because something is on sale, doesn`t mean that you have to buy it. " awd330

Post Thanks / Like
    It is a lot of work .. I have done is as a hobby for years and in the spring it near kills me till I get back in SHAPE.

I do a couple cars a week and I will only do cars in great shape. I let the local *detailars* beat on the rest.

Mine are usually wash/clay/polish/wax or seal. Wipe down interrior and vacuum.. and I am dead. Some that approach me with beat up cars and wanting them to look like mine I refer them on .. no sense spending 6 hours and no way can you make them happy. Ya can`t make a steak dinner out of a slab of bologna.

Kudos to the pros ... People just don`t realize how physically demanding it is .. never mind the knowledge.
    PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree whole heartedly, just spent 6 hrs doing a black Lincoln LS, since it was the first really nice day we had. Wash, clay, wash, polish, glaze, wax. Then the interior. I`ve been dead for two days. If I start to smell, don`t put me in the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    The physical part is one of the main attractions of detailing to me.

I`d rather be tired at the end of the day from making a vehicle look good than sit on the sofa all day watching a game.

Not to mention the stress relief from a good detailing workout ... it truly is therapeutic!
    Interviewer: : Rock, you got anything derogatory to say about the champ?

Rocky Balboa: Derogatory? Yeah. He`s great

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 65redcorvette

I agree whole heartedly, just spent 6 hrs doing a black Lincoln LS, since it was the first really nice day we had. Wash, clay, wash, polish, glaze, wax. Then the interior. I`ve been dead for two days. If I start to smell, don`t put me in the car.

:p

If the larger cars, like the SUV`s and such are in good shape to start with then they can be the simple easy ones because of, as already noted, the large flat surfaces. Unlike a Porsche which can be a real pain because of all the body contours and shapes, nooks and crannies.

For doing roofs on the large suv`s - Getting them protected while they are new is the key there.

Happy Sunday to you all

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Perfectionist in Rehab Prometheus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I usually take two days on my car. Take one afternoon to do the interior really nice, vacuum it, take out the seats and do those really well clean the carpet, dont know why but dirt is attracted to my carpet like you wouldnt believe, clean the dash, fix anything that needs fixing, you know, the works for the interior. Then the next day i do the exterior. I`ve done em both in teh same day before, but usually when im about half done with the polish i get sick of working and feel like im doing a crappy job. So now, i just do it in two days

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Anthony. So many people really dont understand what it`s like to be a pro detailer until they detail the car themselves.

Don`t worry about the pain, it should go away in a few weeks

The more you do, the more you get used to it. It is boat season for me now so I can not feel my triceps. I have been holding a Mikita rotary above my head for 6hrs, then i went to wash my own car and i gave up. I had one of my guys finish the job for me.

Got any pix of your work? You work so hard on it, now you have to show it off :xyxthumbs

Thread Information