Post Thanks / Like
    the winter season really got my interoir dirty and now i have time to clean it!

i was wondering, should i just use at woolite 1:6 solution on my vinyl and leather for a cleaning, or go with some sort of vinyl cleaner and leather cleaner?

i ask this because i read that using household detergents will strip the "natural sheen" look of the vinyl

also, i havent even entirely finished claybarring my car! i dont know, but maybe its just me, that when i claybar i notice that my paint is very grimmy, and it takes a long time for me to finish one area, which makes me not want to clay at all. does this happen to you guys?

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ~One man’s opinion / observations ~

1) Leather cleaning is a three step process, comprising; Cleaning, Conditioning and UV radiation protection

A Woolite solution is a good method of cleaning leather/vinyl

2) Do not be tempted to use household cleaning products for automotive cleaning as they are formulated for very different purposes and could cause damage.

3) It sounds like you are doing too big an area at one time and/or not folding the clay often enough

Spray evenly onto a two square foot section with a lubrication solution (Woolite or Dreft /Water 6:1)

Glide the Clay across the area in a front to back motion, always in a straight-line motion.

Use an imaginary two-foot by two-foot square area to work on.

Check the clay for debris and fold often

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect *so I question everything*
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    If the paint is grimy why wouldn`t you want to clay. Then you`ll see how great it really looks!
    Parents: 2000 Buick Regal GSX.1997 Chevrolet Blazer LT,2003 Infiniti FX45, 21` Bayliner Cruiser

Me: I own a bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the replies!

buick guy, i wouldnt want to clay because its so time consuming! i`ve calyed the entire car once, but i felt like i didnt do a good enough job. now i`m back at it doing one pannel every month or so. i noticed the flat surfaces such as the hood, roof, and trunk lid are the most grimy rather than the rest of the sides of the car

Post Thanks / Like
    1 woolite to 6 water???

Post Thanks / Like
    1 woolite to 6 water???

yes that is the mix....
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by shyne

also, i havent even entirely finished claybarring my car! i dont know, but maybe its just me, that when i claybar i notice that my paint is very grimmy, and it takes a long time for me to finish one area, which makes me not want to clay at all. does this happen to you guys?

shyne,

What are you using for a lubricant?

Claying shouldn`t be that time consuming and you should keep the clay lubed so that it slides easily over the paint ... it shouldn`t be "grimmy" at all.
    Interviewer: : Rock, you got anything derogatory to say about the champ?

Rocky Balboa: Derogatory? Yeah. He`s great

Supernintendo Chalmers
    Post Thanks / Like
    It may be more efficient to use a paint cleaner/polish before you clay if you are experiencing this. I`ve had to do this in the past and it makes the actual claying much easier, even considering that I follow the claying with an additional polishing. Better than using $10-$15 worth of clay for one job!

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Only use a paint cleaner before clay if your finish is neglected. I find that an oxidized finish is hard as hell to clay, so a paint cleaner like mppc(my fav) will get the job done right(it also takes tree sap off like nothing).
    18 Honda Civic SI White Pearl 6mt(:lever

02 Honda Aquatrax f12x watercraft

01 Yamaha Superjet Modded

Thread Information