Thread: Zaino vs NXT

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Scottwax

Any thoughts Mike?

At 10:45pm, I`m all out of thoughts...

at least good ones...

Here`s my salvation,

I`ve rented North by Northwest with Carry Grant, hopefully it won`t require any thinking...

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Gret imput guys. Of course, NXT is a waste of time to consider if I can`t get it in Canada. And I`m not shipping a bottle of wax from the USA to Canada. My luck, they ship UPS/ or Fed Ex, and my 20 US dollar bottle of wax turns into 60 dollars CAnadian.

Here`s one other concern, and another reason why Zaino appeals. We have LONG winters here. I like to layer as much wax as possible to try to get as much protection throughout the winter as I can. Come November, snow hits, and doesn`t stop until April. Washing the car is next to impossible. forget about waxing. I steal my dealers garage sometimes to do a quick touch up, but really, that rarely happens.

So, over the winter. Will either Zaino or NXT last at all? I guess, there`s really no answer to that yet. At least not for NXt since it`s only new, but for Zaino, most guys around here say a few coats last a LONG time.
    2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT

2009 Honda Accrd EXL V6

Post Thanks / Like
    does NXT leave behind any white paste at all? Another reason why I hate "typical" off the shelf waxes. With mothers, even a week later, I`m finding little white streaks on the car. Drives me nuts. And then there`s that slight white powder over the car for the first few days.
    2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT

2009 Honda Accrd EXL V6

Post Thanks / Like
    newf,

If your road-crews use salt on the roads during your long winters, I`d suggest sticking with Zaino. I tried NXT late this winter, and after a couple of weeks of wet and salt: no beading, no slickness, and dirt seemed to stick to the surface more tenaciously than with other sealants and waxes I`ve tried (washing the car after those couple of wintry weeks was pure hell, much moreso than "normal" for how dirty the car appeared).

In my experience, NXT was a little dusty, but not much in the way of white residue if applied thinly. I did, however, get smearing when removing it from a dark colored car (a couple of others mentioned having this problem, but most don`t seem to . . . dunno why it happened on this particular car).

Tort

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m a "Zaino Zealot". You will get a great initial appearance with almost anything if you do the prep right. But I think Zaino is the longer lasting. Read the Autopia Reviews on Z-2 and Z-5 (both with ZFX). Since you are trying different products, give Zaino a shot. See for yourself. But do the prep right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Get a sealant. Poorboys or Wolfgang or Blackfire or Zaino or 1Z Glanz or NXT or Meguiars #26 or SG. They will last. Top em if you want, and then the elements will have to eat through the carnuba first.

I`m ColorX/S100ing right now.

Oh, and if any of the Griots people chime in, just don`t drink the Koolaid.

Edited to add: Looked at the pictures. I love your paint. But obviously not as much as you love your paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks guys, all this is helping a lot. I may have a friend in the states that can help me out if I take the NXT route. I just have been so turned off from meguiars products in the past that I`m hesitant. But most reviews are really good. Our weather up here REALLY tests a wax. Salt is not used a lot up here, in some places yes, but lots of god damn sand/tar, among other things instead.

I don`t know why Wax companies "test" wax like they do. Give me a wax, I`ll let you know if it works without a doubt. Sure, lets take a nice Vette, Porsche Bimmer or whatever, and stick some wax on it. Oh yeah, and u live where it never rains, and the only thing you have to worry about is sun/smog, and some humidity. While I`m jealous of the weather/cars, and money to buy whatever wax you want....I just don`t think that`s the best way to test wax. Couple months of one of our winters, and your paint gets WORKED hard. My paint is really rough right now. Lots of Tar and just road crap built up over winter. this happens every year, and I`ll go through a couple of clay bars to clean it every spring. My spring Cleaning takes me a few days without being picky.

Anyhow, keep the stuff coming guys!

I love this site
    2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT

2009 Honda Accrd EXL V6

Post Thanks / Like
    newf .. they use tar on the roads in winter? What part of Canada you from?
    PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

Post Thanks / Like
    yup, tar all over my car man. Fact of life here. They just do some poor paving jobs late in the year, and some patch work over the winter, and it just gets everywhere.

Newfoundland. Island on the East Coast.
    2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT

2009 Honda Accrd EXL V6

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TortoiseAWD

I did, however, get smearing when removing it from a dark colored car (a couple of others mentioned having this problem, but most don`t seem to . . . dunno why it happened on this particular car).

Tort

I got it too when I tried it on jet black. It took some extra elbow grease to remove all the smearing. IMO, NXT`s ease of use is a tad overrated. Kinda frustrating when we`re dealing with a product that only lasts a few weeks.

After trying NXT for the third time a few weekends ago, I`ve decided that I`m done with this product.

newf, if you`re looking for a product that doesn`t powder or stain trim and will last you through the winter, I would consider Klasse or Zaino.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by FlyNavy

Certainly NOT my experience. I used Zaino on my Z06 for two years UNTIL I tried NXT. NXT is at least as shiny and is about 4 times easier to deal with.

There are some Zaino product that I will not part with however -- the two leather treatment products are really nice, as is the glass polish.

That has nothing to do with what I said. One bottle of Zaino is capable of enough coats to last a single car for more than 2 years.

I realize that protection can`t exactly be determined on any product, but again one bottle of Zaino will last and last and last. I said nothing about its level of difficulty to use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Newf, you in a very difficult situation where NO product is realistically going to last all winter. Your quest is to find some way (rent a space, find a friend with a garage, etc) to care for your vehicle every 6-8 weeks. Paint maintenence is like exercising, you can always find an excuse not to do both, but none of these excuses really hold water.

I am talking from 40+ years of living in New England and washing a car between snow piles when the temp got above 32* just so that I could remove the winter grime when possible.

Yes Klasse and Zaino have track records for enduring protection but do not place too much stock on any product beyond 2 months for complete finish protection in a harsh environment. JMHO

Post Thanks / Like
    try washing a car in -40 C. Garage or not. it`s COLD. That`s assuming you can even get the water going. I`m not expecting Nov-April Protection. I`ve been doing cars for about 15 yrs myself. But, I do not like these waxes that only last 3-4 weeks. That`s pathetic imho for the time you put into it. My Mothers, after a few coats, starts to look bad after about 5-7, maybe 8 weeks. Not bad at all. Meguiars Gold , I felt like I had to redo it every 3 weeks.

I`ve never used Zaino obviously, and with the layering effect, in theory it seems it should last quite a bit longer then most. It seems to take alchohol to clean it off, so water alone shouldn`t strip it much like a normal wax would.
    2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT

2009 Honda Accrd EXL V6

Post Thanks / Like
    excuse all the q`s guys

With Zaino. Say you mix some Z5 with ZFX. Do you have to use it all that day? Or can you let it sit? I`m assuming, once it`s mixed, you have to use it all in one shot? Of course I don`t meant the entire bottle, just what you mixed.
    2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT

2009 Honda Accrd EXL V6

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by newf

excuse all the q`s guys

With Zaino. Say you mix some Z5 with ZFX. Do you have to use it all that day? Or can you let it sit? I`m assuming, once it`s mixed, you have to use it all in one shot? Of course I don`t meant the entire bottle, just what you mixed.

I think if you go to the Zaino sight and read it top to bottom and the FAQ it will answer all your Q.
    PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information